Kia ora Trina
Great to hear you are starting your ecommerce journey.
The key things to look out for when choosing an ecommerce platform:
– Is it easy for you to edit the site. Ecommerce is a process of testing and learning so you need to be able to make regular updates. Trial some of the options and see what you think. Ecommerce is a big investment of time so its worth checking out the options available.
– What support options are available? Check out the reviews and also contact them to see how fast they respond and how helpful they are
– Do they have the integrations you need? e.g. what systems will you want to connect with such as Laybuy and Afterpay for payments, Xero for accounting, email marketing?
– What are the fees like also check if there is there a commission taken on the sales you make?
– Are little but important details included such as a security certificate so that your show shows as secure?
I’m probably like a one-eyed All Blacks fan refereeing the the home team here but you might want to check out our ecommerce platform https://www.rocketspark.com/nz/ecommerce-website-builder/. Rocketspark is very much designed for people like you entering the world of ecommerce for the first time. Rocketspark is made in NZ but we have clients around the world and you can call us free on 0800ROCKET if you get stuck.
Here’s a nice example of a jewellery designers site on Rocketspark I saw recently. She does bespoke pieces so doesn’t do ecommerce but I like the way she introduces herself as the designer: https://www.francesadrian.co.nz/
In terms of delivery I’d consider a solution like Go Sweet Spot which would be great for you. You don’t have to preorder courier tickets and you can print the labels right from Go Sweet Spot and the customer is sent the tracking info. They’ll be able to advise on the best printers.
Getting a great website is just the beginning and making sales online takes some effort. I recommend checking out this blog and video about the essentials for ecommerce success which is based on what we’ve learnt from successful clients:
I hope that helps!