fbpx

Reply To: I have a staff member stuck in Brazil with only a work permit so NZ won’t let her back. We are a cafe so closed anyway for now. Can we apply for and pay her the employee subsidy?

Hi Aaron

As a Licensed Immigration Adviser, I have asked this question of our local MSD staff and the short answer is that they are still seeking guidance on the subject.

In the interim, I would encourage you to apply for the staff member if, like others have stated, you intend to continue their employment (but for the border being closed).

Though it does not currently look promising for temporary visa holders stuck offshore, as a business owner you are unable to predict when your employee will be allowed re-entry and while they are employed and you are experiencing that loss, they qualify for it based on current policy (or at least my interpretation of it).

As previously advised, I would also encourage you to disclose your specific circumstances to your local MSD team and the fact that you have applied for the subsidy.