fbpx

Reply To: Hi there,I own a corporate a corporate boxing gym called Boxing Alley.  Some of you may know it as Monty is a huge part of it.When we went into lockdown all of our direct debit memberships were instantly placed on hold.  Since then I’ve managed to get around 20% of our members to voluntarily start up their membership payments again to support the gym.  Our lockdown strategy was to keep our community engaged by going online.  We are now running over 20 online boxing classes a week via zoom.We have had over 500 registrations and are actively training over 100 people a day.These classes are free for all however we do have a ‘donate’ PayPal button on our online webpage.My question is related to the donate button.  How hard should we be pushing this?  It is awkward asking for money…  Especially since we did get a lot of people into the classes by offering the for free.Cheers 

I obviously know a little bit about your business and the community you serve. You guys have been running these classes free for a little bit of time now and so my advice would would be to push it, but instead of pushing it hard, push it soft! Have a 15sec little audio bite that explains your situation, that like so many businesses you’re doing your best to survive with no clear view on when the current lockdown will end. Repeat variations of that message 3 times throughout the class like “don’t forget to give that donate button a fist bump”. Your community love you, I’m sure they won’t be offended if you give it a nudge, at the end of the day, if they don’t want to donate they won’t, so there’s nothing to lose by asking in the right way.