fbpx

Reply To: Hi EveryoneWe are a digital business planning tool. As I am sure you know, planning is a key part of the road to recovery. Using a digital tool means you can plan remotely and it helps to create focus, direction and calm. It is also likely to reduce the significant issues that arise when SME’s borrow more and reactively allocate those funds, missing the opportunity to gain the maximum benefit.We are very lucky to have KPMG as our largest customer in NZ. Outside of NZ, our largest customer base is in the USA. Sales come from licence agreements with accounting firms who use Business Sorter to provide a business planning/continuity planning service to their clients, and direct sales from the free directories we are listed on. We also supply our tool free to NGOs and businesses in developing nations.We are bootstrapping and to date have focused on getting strong partnerships in place. We started to market our product on social media last month and several of our partners are working with us to promote Business Sorter to a wider audience in NZ and globally. What steps and relationships would you recommend we develop outside NZ to extend our global reach? Thank you.

Hi Sally

Just to follow-on from excellent suggestions from John and Gavin, a couple of other thoughts:
– If you haven’t already engaged NZTE to help with your pursuit of overseas markets, I would recommend that to see how they can support you. If nothing else, that the the opportunity to revisit the NZTE ‘Export Essentials’, which are great resources to get you thinking about your market strategy: https://www.nzte.govt.nz/export-assistance/export-essentials-guides
– As both John and Gavin say, FOCUS is key. It is a big world and you have scare resources. I would suggest refreshing your market assessment in the light of the impact COVID-19 (at least at a high level). Some industries will fare relatively well (utilities, healthcare, food retail) many others will not. That might change your sector/market industry market focus.
– I would then be looking to update your first hand insight into the market opportunity, competitive environment in April 2020 and sales channels. Consider trade associations and folks in KEA, Kiwi Leadership Network USA to help gather information.

If you are going to offer your product for free then make sure that you are using the opportunity to gather information about, and build a relationship with, someone that you can convert to a paying customer in the future.

Be successful!
Regards
Chris Perfect