fbpx

Reply To: When markets closed we where deep in negotiations to bring investors into our business we are a Natural Skin Care and Fragrance business. As of today one has pulled back as their market was Asia and the other is in wait and see what happens mode having verbally agreed in January to commit.I am going to be brutally honest. It had been a hard year before I swallowed my pride and went back to working the night markets around Auckland in November. This swallowing of pride was at the encouragement of good friends and that my wife is due to have our first baby in early June and I needed to do something other than do what was failing which was work online with no budget.We had always had the framework to build a solid business but never the fuel in the engine to get it to where it needed to be and had good interest from industry leading business to work with us before they sold.Before the shutdown of events and markets started happening in March we were starting to make progress and were feeling confident with what 2020 was presenting for us both domestically and internationally. Post lockdown we have driven off a cliff with 2 or 3 sales. We got consent to sell some not all of our products as essential service last Thursday but have been nervous to start marketing due to negative reactions we have seen with other companies in the same category.In the last 3 weeks pivoted to an area I have good knowledge and expertise in the food sector and have seen building demand domestically and internationally for specific Ketogenic  products and both me and our business partner have significantly more experience and ability to execute at scale. We started working on this 18 months ago while my biz partner was living in the USA running another Ketogenic food business he owns there. The food sector is where I cut my business teeth first bringing Virgin Coconut Oil into New Zealand in 2012 from Papua New Guinea.I have two questions 1. How do we communicate we are open as an essential business with out blowing a hole in the side of our business by looking opportunistic. We sell toiletries and skincare so fit with in category. We have limited runway with Govt wage subsidy barley touching the sides though we are grateful for it  no end and my wife starting maternity leave from her job mid May. Her wage pays our rent and keeps our lights on.2.Is it worth it or should we use the opportunity to pivot into a sector we know has fast growth , low to no cost of entry due to existing market relationships and demand and come back pick up the pieces when we have the capital to fund the growth. Or can we run both concurrently? 

Kia ora Tamati
I’m sorry to hear how obviously tough this is for you and your new family for a while now.
Q1: I agree with Brianne to be content-led via social media. Be relevant, be informative, be useful – build a personal connection that cements your positioning vs a lot of the “we’re still open” desperation that’s showing up with some brands right now. A simple statement that you’re open on your website home page is good. Don’t overplay this.
Q2: You want to find a sweet spot between where there is solid market opportunity with where you can really shine with your product offering. If you can pivot into a fast growth sector with low entry costs AND provide something of real value that’s unique, then go for it. Without knowing more, I’d be inclined to focus on this vs running both concurrently as doing both will exhaust your energy as well as money. As you say, you can always come back to it at a later stage. It might not be the path that prioritises your dream, but it’s pragmatic and gives you cash. BUT make sure your offering is strong, as it sounds like it will fast become a crowded market.
Go well
Melissa