fbpx

Reply To: Hi there,I own a corporate a corporate boxing gym called Boxing Alley.  Some of you may know it as Monty is a huge part of it.When we went into lockdown all of our direct debit memberships were instantly placed on hold.  Since then I’ve managed to get around 20% of our members to voluntarily start up their membership payments again to support the gym.  Our lockdown strategy was to keep our community engaged by going online.  We are now running over 20 online boxing classes a week via zoom.We have had over 500 registrations and are actively training over 100 people a day.These classes are free for all however we do have a ‘donate’ PayPal button on our online webpage.My question is related to the donate button.  How hard should we be pushing this?  It is awkward asking for money…  Especially since we did get a lot of people into the classes by offering the for free.Cheers 

Hi there – it sounds like you’ve got a great community going and your generosity has brought a lot of mana and new customers your way. Awesome! I agree with comments above about having an ask – openly, transparently and with some storytelling aspect. I would err away from being repetitive with the comms that can run the risk of being annoying and switching people off. Do it once, do it well, with grace. I also agree with John’s comments on creating a tiered value offering. This is really smart – it not only gives you ways to upsell people to a paid offering, but it provides choice and encourages a deeper connection. They key for me is to gather insight to inform what you offer and how you charge. Find out who’s doing what, how long they’re connected in (are they staying for the duration of classes, or signing off half way through?), and most importantly are they an existing or new member. Map out each type of person as a customer segment and work out what UX (offering, pricing) that’s right for each. Test => learn => refine. Rinse and repeat.
Go well
Melissa