fbpx

Reply To: Hi there. Firstly, thanks for existing! It’s an incredible forum. My business (sole trader) is pretty new. I’ve carved a great niche as a public relations consultant mainly working within the food and wine industry – also a couple of corporate and fashion clients. My business success has relied heavily on the really strong relationships I have with writers, editors and features editors, mainly in the glossy magazine sector. Of course, most of these people have lost their jobs and the magazines have gone. My challenge is finding new places to tell product stories. Wineries want their wine bottle seen. Artisan flaxseed cracker bakers want their crackers in Kia Ora magazine. Well, they did.What I’ve done so far: rejigged my offering to concentrate more on content writing, suggesting thought leadership pieces and blogs to my clients, firmed up some of the relationships I have with food influencers and business editors, connected with the magazines and newspaper insert magazines still producing their titles, convinced one big client to begin their own content channel which I’ll help populate and push to social to tell their stories digitally. Aside from the PR hustle, my best skill is writing. I’m an award winning writer, and a very skilled interviewer. I’ve briefly toyed with the idea of starting a content platform to fill the gap magazines have left behind. I know plenty of out of work writers who could help. However I guess I’m a bit scared at the enormity of that challenge and wondering if I have the mental energy to begin again, when finances are so scarce at our house (my husband has lost 100% of his income and unlikely to recover it). Looking for any guidance, thought, inspiration from you very clever folk.

Another final thought – think about how you can help people as individuals tell their personal stories better. Many many people will be in flux job-wise and quickly scrubbing up their CVs and thinking about transferable skills. How can you help them tell good stories to better re-gain new employment? This could be one to one or group coaching. You could interview them to unlock their secret sauce and them help them message that out verbally, visually, written etc. If targetted at the high end exec market, I’d imagine this to be quite a lucrative revenue stream for you