fbpx

Reply To: Hi there. Firstly, thanks for existing! It’s an incredible forum. My business (sole trader) is pretty new. I’ve carved a great niche as a public relations consultant mainly working within the food and wine industry – also a couple of corporate and fashion clients. My business success has relied heavily on the really strong relationships I have with writers, editors and features editors, mainly in the glossy magazine sector. Of course, most of these people have lost their jobs and the magazines have gone. My challenge is finding new places to tell product stories. Wineries want their wine bottle seen. Artisan flaxseed cracker bakers want their crackers in Kia Ora magazine. Well, they did.What I’ve done so far: rejigged my offering to concentrate more on content writing, suggesting thought leadership pieces and blogs to my clients, firmed up some of the relationships I have with food influencers and business editors, connected with the magazines and newspaper insert magazines still producing their titles, convinced one big client to begin their own content channel which I’ll help populate and push to social to tell their stories digitally. Aside from the PR hustle, my best skill is writing. I’m an award winning writer, and a very skilled interviewer. I’ve briefly toyed with the idea of starting a content platform to fill the gap magazines have left behind. I know plenty of out of work writers who could help. However I guess I’m a bit scared at the enormity of that challenge and wondering if I have the mental energy to begin again, when finances are so scarce at our house (my husband has lost 100% of his income and unlikely to recover it). Looking for any guidance, thought, inspiration from you very clever folk.

Hi,
I feel your fear, enormity of the challenge, mental energy. There will be good and bad days. Write the journal, it might be more your busy mind making you feel this way (not helped when both partners in similar positions!).
If I’m reading between the lines – you’re hustling and I think you have the contacts. Its just the energy to keep hustling, distracting from the real paid work and not your natural comfort? Is there a person within the fall out of media sales that you could team up with, not employed by you, but perhaps there is a cut somehow?
Would I be right in thinking, the solution you are really looking for exists is the longterm sustainable idea (there’s only so many hours you can charge yourself out for!). I’m with you not this. Maybe it will bubble to the surface over time if you can create some structure for your goals, needs and the new order that is arriving. I’d love to chat when you can free your time from the hustle, as keep thinking the same thing (there are a few short term also I can add – but lets talk). The changes happening in this category will evolve into something else. Food and wine are in the hearts and minds of people (although there will be fall out, and you need paying customers!) 021654926