fbpx

Reply To: Hello Experts, I am in need of some guidance on the best way to execute a program thathas been created – web / app or perhaps both? – I appreciate your time.I am writing on behalf of my husband, Mark Sutherland, whounfortunately at the age of 57 was diagnosed with Alzheimer’s Disease, June 2018.Prior to this diagnosis, we knew that things were changingfor Mark and so we spent many months writing an online course based around hisyears of expertise in high performance, which we named ‘The Sport of Business’.About Mark He coached the NZ Kayak team whose athletes won many World Championships andOlympic Gold, Silver and Bronze Medals (Paul MacDonald and Ian Ferguson)He was the trainer to the NewZealand Short Track Ice Skating Team that broke the world record and won theworld championships in the 5000m relay. He coached or trained nine worldchampion athletes from 8 sports with 3 World Records and lectured at 2Universities.In 1994 he made a deliberate four-year transition frominternational sport to performance coaching of business people. He surveyed andstudied the needs of management teams and business owners to find out what theconnections were between top sport and business leadership and management.He then introduced the skills,insights, experiences and principles of high-performance sport to businesspeople to help them elevate their performance and that of their business.Mark’s clients said that he was a ‘real world, straight-shooting,no-nonsense coach’ that quickly got to the heart of the matter and eliminatedthe Bull Shit allowing them to be successful. About the courseIt is a five-week online course or as Mark called it your Training Program,which focusses on unlocking your ‘Inner Champion’, helping you to build yourbusiness using the principles of high-performance sport. He shares 30 years’experience in the high-performance arena of elite sport and business.His purpose was to educate business owners by teaching themabout the proven and powerful strategies of Mindset, Resilience and Highperformance.His motivation was to help business owners lift theirpersonal performance so they can successfully drive their business to the nextlevel, resulting in more clients, more sales and more profits.  Coaching was Mark’s passion. The development ofthe Online CourseThis course was picked up by JBA in 2017 and their instructionaldesign and tech teams spent hundreds of hours building and developing it.However, as a tech business, they needed to constantly ensure their productswere aligned with a viable commercial strategy. This necessitated iterationinto virtual reality training with the corporate market in mind.  The Sport of Business was developed for onlinetraining platform to be of value to those who are either self-employed, aconsultant or the owner of a small business.  JBA advised us that this was no reflection on Mark’s IP northe quality of the content. They said it was an incredible body of work and atrue testament to Mark’s legacy in the sporting and business world.  They were so generous by providing us with all the webrootfiles and the final storyboards (in PowerPoint format)Due to Mark’s Alzheimer’s disease and that he no longerworks, I need to know what I should do. I really believe in this program andwhat Mark has spent years creating – how do I go about marketing this andfinding someone to help put it online or an app. I am 65, retired, not up todate with the full capacity that technology is moving at –  I’m stuck. Are there any suggestions?Thanks for your time and your maanaki.Debbie.

Debbie, my heart goes out to you and Mark. My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimers a few years ago. It sounds like Mark has developed some wonderful materials and insights that can help a lot of people.

I tend to be a realist in my perspectives. So, take this as just one opinion and one perspective to add to the mix. Starting and then growing a business is really really challenging, in reality. In the beginning, it’s more than full-time and it’s 7 days per week. The idea and the content is an amazing starting point, but it will live and die on the passion of the people that take it forward. It will need funding and commitment and a lot of hard work.

Is your motivation to get Mark’s amazing work in to the hands of those that can benefit, rather than making money from the IP he has developed? Either way, what’s key is finding someone that will own this project and drive it like it is their own. And, then some capital to get it moving. If you can find such a person, perhaps you could jointly form an entity where this person receives a large shareholding. Or, they license the IP from you and they start a company around this. Or you could license the IP to companies that can put the IP to great use, like existing coaching companies or tech companies that focus on online learning.

As this is a hugely personal piece of work inspired by Mark’s experience, has there been someone close to him over the years that has been profoundly impacted by either Mark as a coach or by this coaching programme? Someone with a personal connection that resonates with the programme Mark has developed? This may be a great starting point to find the right person to drive this forward.

Then, depending on who this person is, there may need to be capital provided for tech. If you have the funds, then you could contribute. Otherwise a tech provider that focusses on online learning potentially could do this for equity instead of cash, particularly if their business has been impacted by Covid-19.

Food for thought. Happy to further the dialogue!

It sounds like some amazing love to bring the programme to more people. Kia kaha