fbpx

Reply To: My husband and i were just about to start a business which would in turn sprout many other small businesses, using agritech. We both own our own businesses and we were going to bootstrap it out of profit/drawings, but now both our revenues are much less certain and its too risky. We would still like to do it and it is just what is needed right now. But it would take 6 months to a year to get revenue in so payments for a loan would be tough. Keep mulling it over but can’t see a way to make it work… open to ideas. 

I wouldn’t worry about that, as it would all get sorted out in a shareholders agreement down the track and you would be party to creating that. Many won’t want dividends if they’re growth focused, instead they would want profits reinvested. The one thing they generally all want is an exit strategy
so you need to be sure that you’re aligned with what that might look like, eg a sale.
They key thing they would want to see now would be current and projections of revenue and profit. Market competitor, sector and opportunity summary and some insight into skills/experience of founders. But once you start down the track and get a feel for investors, definitely have an advisor on hand to help negotiate and advise on any deal or agreement. Your accountant will often have (local) contacts or high net worth individuals that they could match you with so worth asking.