fbpx

Reply To: Hi there,I am now a sole trader (I just let go of 2 x contract staff) in the sme & family business consulting space. I have a boutique business delivering people expertise specific to building capability and resourcing for growth. Like everyone else, I have been hit hard. 80% of my revenue came through sme recruitment. My model is customised to sme’s. I scope, search, select and on-board. Roles include Governance, GM, Senior Leaders, Office Staff and Warehouse. My offering can be un-bundled or bundled in an end-to-end offering (this is where my client gets the best result). The total cost is seriously 1/2 of what the fee based model the traditional recruiters charge. The hourly model enables this. The result and experience totally hands-on, consultative and supportive. The other 20% comes from consulting around organisation design, performance and capability building, (so many sme’s do not have performance management systems in place). Pre-covid I’d just started a move into succession planning and governance recruitment and board structuring advice for sme’s and family businesses. There’s a great market opportunity that sits there. My vision for the future is to get the sme recruitment business back on track ( I am sure that will happen). My heart sits with family businesses consulting, providing succession process support and a governance/board scoping, search and selection service offering. Family businesses are unique. Strong board selection is vital . You need to carefully consider their fit with the family. their values, skill set and experience with family governance. I am currently completing a Family Advisory course via Adelaide University. To my knowledge, I am the second in NZ to do so. I truly believe that Family Business should be identified as a sector here in NZ and plan to take an active role in carving out its formation. I will connect with channel partners to do this and look to get some family business statistics in the coming years. I would be interested in any top-level observations relating to rebuilding my business and creating my vision.Many thanks experts !I’ve applied for the covid-19 business recovery funding and have my fingers crossed it will be approved. I specifically need assistance with my businesses rebuild. I need to target my market with the right messages, create the right marketing content, optimize search engines, consider e-commerce and get onto all of the social platforms. 

I agree with Greg – great job on picking a specific sector to go after.

I do think that the economic recovery may be uneven either in geographies or industries in NZ. It may make sense to start your focus in those geographies or industries that are seeing pick up. You can always do broader marketing but focus can help make sure that your time spent yields the highest return.

I also wonder if you can spend some of your time forming partnerships (this may have been your reference to channel partners) with accountancy firms, legal organisations, etc. as a way to generate leads more efficiently. Most likely during this time people will be talking to these types of firms to understand cash flow, etc. .

Finally, another idea is to hold some free seminars (or create online content that family businesses could use to plan) about family run businesses in our current economic climate. Maybe smaller roundtables with key owners that you know plus others that you invite to discuss how they are approaching the current situation? It may allow some high touch, trust building opportunities to generate business and consultancy.