fbpx

Reply To: Hi there,I own a small CV and Recruitment Company in Christchurch, our main target group were people from abroad bringing in specialized skills to help the New Zealand job market and the economy to grow. The main clientele we’re migrants from abroad that could fill a job role that would not normally be filled by New Zealand Citizens or resident class visa holders.With border closures around the world, we are not able to target this market any longer and may not be a viable option moving forward. We want to assist New Zealanders that are unemployed to find their feet again in New Zealand and try to get back to the new normal. We were busy with a slow rollout of a new job search platform for jobseekers that were looking for work and another site where possible employers and recruiters are able to post their vacancies. My question is how would I go about in targeting Jobseekers and possible companies to use the site create their job profiles and get the site working to help make however small a dent in the unemployment figures New Zealand now faces?How do I keep possible migrants interested in the prospect of New Zealand to bring their valuable skills much-needed skills to New Zealand with borders closures looming? I have a small team that depends on me for their livelihoods I need to look after my team, their families, and my business. Any assistance would be appreciated.I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Thanks for posting and thanks for going after to make a difference in unemployment.

My personal recommendation is to go after a particular industry or set of skills with your website. There are a ton of websites popping up (and the old standby’s of Seek, Indeed, and TradeMe) that are focused on broad capture of jobseekers and companies. That, in my opinion, is a hard market to compete in.

I would work backwards from an idea of having a more narrow focus. Questions to ask yourself would be:

What type of industries/work were you putting migrants in to before?

What were the key companies that hired the people you were helping to recruit?

If you can hone in on a skillset and an industry or set of jobs from your prior experience that you want to target then I think your messaging and targeting gets easier, e.g. go back to companies who have used your services in the past. You can become the place where those employers can come to to find the specific skills/people they need for specific types of roles. There are examples of this elsewhere, e.g. nursing, truck drivers, etc., in other parts of the world.

From there I would think about what extra value you can add to those companies and jobseekers to make you the preferred choice. Unfortunately in particular industries there will be a number of people out of work so the ratio of applicants to role is going to be quite high. What can you do to help employers sift through applicants faster or make the hiring process easier? That is what is going to be needed to stand out from the pack of passive sites, like Indeed, that just market roles, collect CV’s, and ask companies to sort through them.

Hope the above helps.