fbpx

Reply To: We are an online gift registry site that was predominately for weddings prior to Covid19. During Lockdown we added a baby registry which is doing well in terms of sales. With the products we sell for the weddings we have always ordered as required and avoided carrying stock as much as possible. Over the peak season months we order a lot and it’s easy to meet minimums, harder now it’s quiet. What I’m noticing with the baby brands is that we are required to make minimum order values, particularly clothing. The other element of this is that deliveries are taking twice as long. Our shop now function has been popular but because we are not holding stock we order it, it takes 2-4 weeks to arrive and then we send and I don’t feel like this is a great experience for the customer even though I keep in touch with them and let them know. Should we start to build up stock? We might need to get an overdraft to do this – is this a terrible idea at this time? We are online only.

My quick answer, take a look at the numbers, if the return on investment is good then do it. It really just comes down to the numbers.