fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Am looking to create a social platform where people can post ‘stories’ and they can be commented on, with both the stories and comments able to be liked, and messaging between participants.  Stories can be sorted by various categories.  Keen for an out of the box solution with plugins, rather than trying to build it from scratch (at least for MVP).    Am wondering if the same functionality used for this manaaki site might work?  I heard Pat talking about it on the Spinoff interview.  Would really appreciate input from someone who understands what’s available/possible.  

Question submitted 11/05/20 @ 07:54am
Industry: Digital and Technology
VIEW
VOTE
  • Kia ora,
    Sounds remarkably like blogging functionality. Manaaki appears to be a WordPress site. I’ve recently been involved in setting up a site for an Iwi that’s also WordPress based. WordPress is pretty awesome at this and has a massive array of plugins. For example, we’ve used a WP plugin called UltimateMember that handles all the complexity around site membership/profiles etc. We’ve been using an Auckland-based website company called The Fold. Google them and have a chat to Daniel.
    Ngā mihi,
    -Peter

Hi there,

I can’t help from the tech side, but interested to know from the social side what makes it different from the social platforms already available. Are you able to give an outline for the purpose of the product (is it a community group/forum/to sell a product) so we can help a little more?

Hi. Agree… WordPress will do the trick and easy to get on have a go yourself. Otherwise, a good web designer can do marvels with WordPress. Relatively low cost and quick to get into the market. Drop me a line if you need more support. bruce@puttiapps.com

Hi there,

Agree with Monique. From experience working on building communities, it does prove worth while exploring what social communities your target audience is already a member of. From there, you can explore creating a niche within the social community. e.g. FB groups, sub-reddits, LinkedIn private groups (you can post stories etc). That way your audience is already familiar with the platform and it creates less resistance with acquisition, retention engagement etc. Most successful companies leverage this approach (go where your audience is), provided you can find a platform that caters for your value prop.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.