fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
As the Director of The Kindness Insitute, a non-profit organisation, the core function of my role is to locate and secure suitable funding for the various programme and organisational requirements. We have a robust system to identify relevant funders and have a solid diversification of funding opportunities (social enterprise, owned fundraisers etc) and currently generate enough revenue to operate successfully but not optimally or to generate growth opportunities, which is our ultimate mission, to empower all young people in Aotearoa with the skills they need to live a happy and fulfilled life. More info on our organisation and kaupapa below. My question is: what are the best ways of securing multi-year funding, ongoing corporate sponsorships and growth funding to allow us to not only serve and support our current rangatahi but push this out to a much wider reach. Our programme is evidence-based and scientifically proven to provide positive outcomes, so we have a platform that is effective, now we seek help to push this out to communities who need it. In short, based in Auckland, we are a not-for-profit, kaupapa Māori organisation that helps improve mental health among marginalised rangatahi, and those closest to them, through mindfulness, meditation and yoga, creative arts and cultural connection. Designed to encourage self-care, build resilience and leadership skills, our programmes are guided by Te Whare Tapa Whā.

Question submitted 06/08/20 @ 10:23am
Industry: Social Enterprise (Community, Not-for-Profit, For Profit)
VIEW
VOTE
  • Kia ora Brady,

Depending on your legal structure, we do offer support, funded by the NZ Government to help organisations. More detail can be found here: https://www.akina.org.nz/covid-19-pivot-support

Please feel free to contact Guy (details on the website) who can talk through the support available. We are working with a lot of amazing organisations, just like yours, trying to tackle the same problem.

Ngā mihi nui,

Louise

Do you have a multi-year business plan? Perhaps you can define your business goals and outline your strategic plan for the next 5 years, including the funding you need to get there, how you will spend it and the return (impact) you expect it to have.

You can then approach different organizations such as government organizations, corporate philanthropy programs with focus in/on the area and demographic you serve, as well as family foundations and ask them how much they are willing to invest in order to help you get there.

I hope that helps~
    Kirsty

Kia Ora – what I can talk about is how we (and I) have secured multi-year funding in the past, and also what other organisations have done.

My learnings are that multi-year is much less often now, but typically happens because the person e.g. me has a relationship with the target organisation and finds the way to the person that ‘says yes’ and aligns to their own budgets and also organisational persons. It does not always start with the ‘organisational person’ more the senior leader who gets taken by the objective and purpose of the organisation and then finds the way to make it happen.

It seems to work even more, when the person you are talking too has had a personal experience with your programmes eg. even been an alumni because they just know the value and worth.

I hope that helps – it is not easy, but it can be done if there is alignment and a will.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.