fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Context: Products with visual/ functional differentiation that is patentable has obvious benefits in retaining margin and market share. We have a identified a product that has a few competitors that have a cookie cutter approach in design and eroding each other’s margin that we believe we can demand a higher premium. Question: Is there experience within this group with engineering patentable differentiation in products, and finding manufacturers that are flexible with custom designs without breaking the bank/ margin? 

Question submitted 08/11/20 @ 01:48pm
Industry: New Product Development / R&D
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

This is a hard question – I know a few people – first however, when you said you have something that is patentable, is that because it is totally original in application and/or design? I ask this because when the concept is already a thing – and you are reverse engineering a different approach in the category, that can be harder to patent (i think) – on your question of manufacturers that are flexible, the group generally are much more open right now, albeit the qualifying comment is that it really depends on what type of manufacturing you are talking about – some flexibility but many also realise more than ever how much their costs are – so are keen to make sure they get recovery. A

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.