fbpx

Let's get down to business.

• Bmuns

Business Owner

@bmuns

Creating a product in te reo as a non te reo speaker.

Question submitted 20/07/21 @ 07:31am

Hi team! I create affirmation wall prints for kids. Prints are personalised with your child's name and ten affirmations of your choice. I have always wanted to be able to offer my prints in te reo as well. I thought of this because my family member who helped set up my business has children that are fluent so I thought of course that should be an option too. So my intention is from a good place. Note I am Maori but do not speak the language, my parents did not speak te reo either. It wasn't until months later it occurred to me that maybe it wouldn't be received well as a non speaker. Do you think it is OK to offer the translated prints? Because of this situation and the wonderful Maimoa Creatives Instagram I have actually enrolled in a 20 week course to start learning te reo. I am also wanting to do affirmation cards for kids. I want to do an English affirmation on one side and then the te reo translation on the reverse side. So the other piece of advice I wanted was who I could contact to do these translations. Is there a professional service that offers this? I think it would be such an amazing product and from my perspective I'm super keen to do it. Thanks so much, can't wait to hear your advice.

Category: Māori Enterprise
      • Comments

• Views

• Shares

• Jada MacFie

Industry Expert

@jada-macfie

Reply submitted 20/07/21 @ 07:31am

Up
        Down

Hi there

It is a beautiful idea, he whakaaro ātaahua – and very courageous that you acknowledge your whakapapa and absence of Reo Māori. I’d like to honour you for doing that.
        As someone who has been on a Reo Māori journey for some time, there are definitely some things to be careful of particularly when undertaking direct translations. The Māori worldview and thought process is quite different to just taking the phrase or sentence in English to Māori dictionary or Google translate, and as it is quite a metaphorical language, we say things quite poetically and indirectly.
        There are definitely translation services (see the DIA.govt.Nz website) out there and many contractors who could help, but also there are loads of beautiful resources I.e. Scotty and Stacey Morrison’s books that will have key phrases for our tamariki. Kia kaha, kia māia, kia manawanui.

Jada

• Shares

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.