Question :
good morning.we have a traditional Thai  massage place in Pukekohe (sabaigaya.co.nz ) and we are closed for now 7 week and we still don’t know of we can open in level 2 .we still had to pay full lease every month ,power bill, rates ,ect ect and now we had to pay gst ass well i work for 6 year 7 days and 10 hours a day and now i am going to lose everything what i have worked for ,is there any help for me 

Question submitted 11/05/20 @ 08:56am
Industry: COVID-19 Funding & Support
  • Up

    Yes it’s crazy stressful times for business like yours and many others. I’ve not yet seen banks grant lending holidays to commercial properties (though is always worth asking as they don’t want to lose their tenants right now either) so people are mostly still paying rent (correct me if I’m mistaken but this is our definite experience). IRD has released a loan scheme you can access from their website which looks helpful. That’s all I know of for cashflow relief right now. Banks seem to still be a bit hit and miss re support.

    Questions I’d personally be looking at is:
    Income generation – can I pre sell any vouchers for future services?
    Personal and employee protection –
    Creativity – can I generate income from other means?
    Family – can I do anything to secure my family finances?
    Lease – can I get a lease reduction and what are my contingencies here if I can’t?


    Morena. So hard, and in these times, good on you for reaching out – getting your costs down while you start to get some revenue in is clearly what will make a difference. How can you look at this differently – is your landlord not responding? do they know you will likely go out of business if they are not supportive?


    The cashflow loan through IRD that Zoe mentions above is available on this link https://www.ird.govt.nz/covid-19/business-and-organisations/small-business-cash-flow-loan

    Have you spoken with your landlord about coming to arrangement that is acceptable to you both during this time? Also have a look at your lease agreement and see whether there is a clause in there that talks about what happens if you are unable to access the premises (as under Level 3 & 4). Some lease agreements have a clause that essentially says if you can’t enter the premises then the landlord and tenant must come to a mutually acceptable arrangement around the payment of rent.

    Andy also asks some great questions that would be worth putting to your landlord so taht they understand your situation fully. For the landlord getting a new tenant during this time may also be very difficult for them so it’s in their interests too to come to an arrangement with you.

    Best of luck.

  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.