fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
HELP !!! – Hi there, my brother owns a small cafe on the North Shore, and due to this COVID-19 lockdown, he has been closed since the the lockdown began. Even though he is trying to reopen tomorrow and conduct his business in a way with minimal contact as per government guidelines, he is still going to struggle, as he main income, comes from the local businesses around him, in other words his regulars. Can someone help me find a way for him to try and get his business back up and running. I know there are uber eats and other delivery companies, I don’t know how much the charge or what is involved, however in my mind, this may be his only way to prevent foreclosing. He hasn’t been able to pay his rent for April 2020, and I sincerely doubt he has the funds at this stage to pay for May 2020. We desperately need help as our whole family lives from this business. Closing for a month has depleted our savings and we don’t know what we can do to get this business up and running again properly. 

Question submitted 27/04/20 @ 12:33pm
Industry: Food & Beverage
VIEW
VOTE
  • Hi there

I can imagine this is a tough time for your family. One insight I would offer is to think about how the demographic has changed. Yes, many businesses are closed but there are also a lot of people in the neighbourhood who would usually be in the central city. How can you help get these people what they need? And how can you let them know you are back in business? It may feel counterintuitive but you must invest in some marketing. There are many very cost effective options out there right now.

Uber eats is an option but they take 30%. Self-delivery is another option but you must have all the health and safety requirements covered. Consider packaging, how does this need to change?

Take a breath, weigh up all the costs and assess whether it makes sense to reopen now or can you afford to wait.

Through one of my clients, I helped with this article from Vivace GM Paul Baker for Hospitality Business. It is well worth a read.

Know your monsters – essential survival skills for hospitality

After you have considered your options, if your brother would like to brainstorm marketing options I am happy to have a chat. B@bravebear.co.nz

Best wishes
    Bee

As the saying goes… when the going gets tough get going…however as per the advice from Bee don’t rush opening the doors until you are comfortable as to what your new customer base now looks like. do some research and be brutally honest with yourself about the potential scenarios. So be SMART!

There are lots of solutions around taking orders and I’m sure there are many people prepared to help deliver right now too… but you need to ensure it’s been managed safely within the Covid19 guidelines. If you want a quick chat happy to take a call as I’m dealing with a number of mates in Hospo right now all facing the same situation – as opening brings cost as much as revenue so partnering with your staff, landlord on a strategy is good first step!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.