fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
 Hey guys, my name is Ollie. Myself and a partner are starting a Cold Brew Coffee company. We are unique in the sense that we use all organic ingredients and are slightly flavoured to make for an easy to drink beverage on the go, or before that big meeting. My question is in regards to investors, is it worth while getting a business loan from the bank, or finding an investor to pump some money into it, or what we are doing at the moment which is just paying the bills “as we go” kinda thing. Any info is greatly appreciated. Ollie

Question submitted 19/04/21 @ 03:18pm
Industry: Food & Beverage
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Hi Ollie

First off congrats on taking the plunge and kicking off your own business.

In regards to your question, it’s hard to give nuanced advice without understanding more details e.g your goals, timeframes, resources (time/money), experience, etc. The below however are some general rules I follow in regards to funding,
    – Always add 30% extra to your most well thought thru budget
    – The best time to seek funding (Loan/Investment) is when you don’t need it. Your energy/confidence/ability to negotiate is completely different when you are not desperate for the funds.
    – Even if you get an approval/offer you don’t need to accept it. Great to have those funds potentially waiting in the wings if needed at a later date.
    – Always have someone in your team or your network that understands your industries numbers/metrics inside out. Their experience/advice is worth its weight in gold.
    – There’s no such thing as a free lunch. Am I willing to take on funds in return for meeting some/all of the investors needs? e.g ROI, vision, seat on board, etc
    – If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. Write a business plan irrespective of fundraising. It forces you to deeply think about the details of going to market more than you may otherwise. This includes a comprehensive budget.

The last thing I would add is be careful of a “pay as you go” approach. Reason being, how long is a ball of string? Set a plan and budget and look to stick to it. Set milestones that need to be reached in order to achieve that plan. Of course things can change and a plan needs flex, but budgets rarely should. Draw some budgetary lines in the sand and get brutally honest with yourselves if and when you want to cross them. It’s not to say you can’t, it just means it should be a very conscious decision taken with caution.

Best of luck and feel free to keep reaching out as the venture progresses.

Jade

Up
    Down

Awesome Jade, super helpful information there. I am definitely more leaning towards approaching (hopefully) potential investors. As I feel like we are holding ourselves back with the current situation which is the pay as you go method.

We have a mission statement/business plan written out as well as a estimated budget in mind of up front costs as well as on going. So just need to find the right approach.

Thanks again for the help, means a lot

Ollie

Up
    Down

Great to hear Ollie. Go well!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Skip to toolbar