Hi Open Road tours,
I can empathise with your tough situation and your “rant”. Your tour options and the approach you have taken to attract a local market on your website look great and should help. A couple of thoughts and ideas you may have already tried..
– offer more 2 night 3 day weekend escapes options for couples, mates, or groups with a min departure number required
– there might be many riders have a bike and can ride but dont have a bike suitable for touring or not as cool as your bikes so I wouldn’t give up assuming all NZ riders have a bike or a suitable bike.
– do a promo post on the New Zealand Made Products Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/groups/519618962054849 it has over half a million kiwis as members and is incredibly popular, has huge visitation and is free.
– here is another one to post on https://www.facebook.com/groups/liveloveexplorelocalnewzealand
– I had a quick look but couldn’t find you on http://www.newzealand.com, so if you are listed there you are hard to find, if not I strongly suggest you register (multiple tours if you can) here https://register.newzealand.com/
– might be a crazy idea but guide day trips from Auckland might sell well, up to Matakana, Leigh etc..
– you might like to join this group on Linked In called RESET, https://www.linkedin.com/groups/13880204/ a support and collective voice for small tourism businesses in NZ
– do you have a Linked In page? I suggest creating one if not and using your personal pages as well to post activity and new products, and deals.
– I see you have a FB page and you might like to think about paying to boost certain posts and targeting certain demographics or areas.
– you could try contacting media such as Stuff, Seven Sharp, Breakfast etc all who have been running stories to support kiwi tourism businesses, just need to come up with a cool story or angle for them.
– are you connected with ATEED (Auckland Tourism) and on their site..?
– a friend and tourism marketing guru has recently moved to Mangawhai so he might be able to come and have a coffee and see if he can help out or make any further suggestions, let me know if you are interested.
Hope some of this might help., and wish you all the best. Jason