fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Hi, I run/ran a successful Bed and Breakfast in Whangarei, please check out my website and BOOK now. lol (www.whangareibedandbreakfast.co.nz) My trade in the past has been mainly though booking.com and consisted of about 80% foreign visitors.I now need to attract a different type of guest namely New Zealanders, both tourist and corporate.please advise?I do struggle with modern technology, so keep it simple. Sue Russell

Question submitted 24/04/20 @ 11:40am
Industry: Tourism
VIEW
VOTE
  • Kia Ora Sue! It’s great you are reaching out and are getting proactive thinking about how to market your B&B. You are spot on in the need to attract the domestic market. It’s key that you get as much exposure to where consumers and other travellers are looking for accommodation. Given you have indicated you may be a bit tech challenged, it’s probably best you let others assist as well. So, this means other listing sites (such as HolidayHouses.co.nz, Airbnb and Bookabach) and groups that are focussed on domestic tourism. Tourism NZ has now been given a mandate with promoting domestic tourism, so you want to make sure you are listed on newzealand.com. You can do this by registering via https://register.newzealand.com/.

This Facebook group is a good support group to get inspired on ideas that others are doing in the Tourism space to attract the domestic tourist. https://www.facebook.com/groups/647725352678015/

You will want to ensure your pricing and offering is competitive for the domestic market, which is usually more competitive than the international market. So, look to see if there is scope to put specials on your rates, or extra inclusions.

Are you a member of the B&B association? They are looking at ways to promote B&B style accommodation, and likely have some thoughts on how to market a B&B for the domestic market. There is a B&B website called bnb.co.nz where you can pay for a listing as well.

In terms of the corporate market, suggest you get in touch with the biggest employers in Whangarei, once things settle down and travel can start up again. You don’t want to get in touch too soon, as they are focussed on survival right now and may take more time to pick up then domestic travel given many have gotten used to working through video instead of face to face.

A few starting thoughts!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.