fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Hi, I run what was a successful Bed and Breakfast in Feilding, Manawatu.  We cater for motor-sport teams who visit Manfeild, but also lots of overseas and national visitors.  However, all of our bookings for the rest of the year have been cancelled, and no further reservations have been made until next year.  My husband and I rely on the B&B for about 1/3 of our income, so we are struggling.  I would love to be able to advertise through social media, but although I am very computer savvy and very good at writing and using conventional advertising (ie newsletters, databases, AirBnB etc), I have no idea how facebook/ twitter/ instagram etc works.  We do have a Facebook page, but I am very limited in my ability to use it to its fullest for promotion of our B&B.  Where can I go to get some tuition on mastering social media?  Please don’t say U-tube as I find that very frustrating. I’m in my 50’s, and would love to learn.  Thank you!

Question submitted 16/05/20 @ 04:40pm
Industry: Tourism
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Hi Amber,
    I really feel for you as the tourism sector has been hit incredibly hard, and the cancellation of the Central Districts Field Days probably didn’t help either!
    I’d suggest reaching out to the Manawatu districts Regional Tourism Organisation (RTO) who are part of PNCC and I believe this is CEDA – Central Economic Development Agency, and they may be offering support to upskill tourism businesses on digital and social marketing skills… I’m on the Board of Destination Great Lake Taupo and we are offering this, as well as a virtual digital drop in clinic to get help!
    You can also do a quick search on-line for people offering skills/training including managed services of your social sites… I did this and saw a few, some a free, some cost a minimal fee… and there are many more:
    1) https://www.theclassroom.co.nz/ looks quite good for advice on FB, Insta and others and training
    2) https://www.easysocialmedia.co.nz/pricing look like they manage your social activity with you for a monthly fee.
    You should make sure you are listed on the visit Manawatu webpages, the local I-sites know you, you are registered on accommodation booking sites that include B&B’s eg booking.com etc, use your prior customers as a potential source of new customers / referrals, reach out to your local community as a place for their friends and family to stay if visiting versus staying with them!
    Hope some of these ideas may help…

Up
    Down

… also, link in with other tourism operators in the region and see what you can do to package your offerings up eg, those in/around the Rangatikei River and in doing so combine your exposure to their social feeds too…

Up
    Down

Amber

Great feedback from Jonathan. A few other ideas. Have a look at

facebook.com/groups/boost.newzealand – It’s a Facebook initiative to help people get more from Facebook, and it’s free.

facebook.com/groups/647725352678015 – This is a Tourism Industry Support Group on Facebook and a great way to see what others in NZ are doing.

Make sure you are registered on newzealand.com, as this is the official TourismNZ website, and it’s free. register.newzealand.com

You may also want to consider using the listing sites to maximise your reach until you build up your direct channel, ie Airbnb, Booking.com, etc.

Good luck.

Up
    Down

Hi Amber, I started my business last year in social media marketing and discovered many SMEs preferred to handle social media on their side, I did manage to help a business set up their own Facebook page, which they really love and had their existing customers sign up, as well as new views, this is all through “organic advertising” which is FREE. The other form of advertising is paid, but I always recommend organic advertising first. Many of the other customers I work with prefer to have a website, so as to take advantage of SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). If you’re interested I’m happy to jump on a ZOOM call with you and can share some tips & tricks.

Business has really been interesting, especially trying to navigate through the COVID period and even afterwards, what to do and how to keep your business up and running 🙂 Very challenging indeed 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.