fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Hi Team  – couple of questions. I’m the Exec Director of the Council for International Development – Umbrella organisation for NZ’s aid charities. 1. Can our members access Manaaki? 2. Are you interested in talking about a kind of Icehouse model for NFPs? Some of our members won’t make it through COVID-19 – they can fundraise. For some its a acceleration of the inevitable. But not for all. Thanks – look forward to hearing from you –

Question submitted 06/04/20 @ 09:28am
Industry: COVID-19 Funding & Support
VIEW
VOTE
  • Morena Josie – the founding philosophy of the founders of Manaaki is to show care, love and support – if we have the capability to answer a question, deliver value and help. So we believe in being ‘broad’ with that qualifier of whether we have expertise to assist.

Your first question 1) can you members access Manaaki, yes I say, what it might lead us to doing is adding a category of Not for Profits/Social Organisations or people who are expert in that to answer the questions, but in the meantime I would just get your people to ask the questions they have on their mind and we will hustle to meet demand.

Your second question 2) are we interested in some sort of Icehouse model for Not for Profits? Good question, at the Icehouse we have always just focused on small to medium established and tech startups, we did try other areas over the years e.g. a Maori/Iwi partnership but what we found was the need of the community was quite nuanced and different, so the best gift or thing we could do was help the people who were doing that to launch their own business – Te Whare Hukahuka a few years ago. Through Anna from PledgeMe and Louise from Akina we have seen quite a bit of expertise in the NFP space – I can’t speak for The Icehouse as there is a new CEO there, albeit we have like other organisations been severely impacted by the Covid-19 so that probably makes us more open coupled with I did see some funding come through for the NFP space in the last couple of weeks – I think it was around 27m but that is probably not enough and just focused on provision of essential services https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/27-million-ngos-and-community-groups-continue-providing-essential-services.

On the NFPs here is some advice from a sage company director that I think is equally relevant for NFP organisations:

“Here’s some additional tips I got from a fellow director who recently shared the governance approach he is taking with his portfolio companies: Start with Winston Churchill (he’s always good for a quote) “Never let a good crisis go to waste”
    And that’s where I start. The approach we are taking is to ask the following questions:
    1. What will be the shape of our business in future
    2. What are the core assets (people and hard assets) we need to have, in that future model
    3. How do we protect those assets in the transition, and how do we eliminate the non essential assets as quickly as possible
    4. How do we ensure that any decisions we make now are consistent with the model we believe we will have in the future
    5. And be prepared to change our mind (almost daily!) about what that future model looks like.
    6. How do we, in an equitable way, spread the pain

The whole basis of this approach is to survive so we can then thrive. There are some fundamental questions about what society will look like in future. The whole dynamic of society may change – the big question is, how will it change? This unfortunately is the big unknown.

How can I reshape my business to a future proof model, when I don’t know how society will, over the medium term, react to what is happening right now. Will we go back to what we did before, or will society have fundamentally different principles by which it operates?

There will be a lot of SME’s who will fail. Others will thrive. As Darwin once said “It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is most adaptable to change.”

Hi Josie,
    Re your question 2, The Icehouse’s purpose is to back, upskill and connect ambitious small business leaders and founders with the learning & development, funds and network to thrive. If there are NFPs in your network that align with these goals, then yes, The Icehouse is here to help. Happy to discuss.

Hey Josie – a CEO of another NFP sent me a note just now saying that the Fundraising Institute of NZ is providing its own advisory services to those working in the not-for-profit land – https://www.finz.org.nz/

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.