fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Hi there, I’m currently with an immigration consultancy business and we are currently brainstorming around developing our services to support organisations in bringing staff from overseas across the critical worker criteria (we are not a placement/recruitment firm but more on the advisory side). Currently, as you may know, the current climate can be challenging but it would definitely be helpful to us to get information from businesses around this topic.I am currently reaching out to business owners and trying to see if 1) have you brought in anyone overseas through the critical worker criteria from INZ 2) Is your business able to find local skilled talents and do you feel the need to hire from someone overseasThank you in advance and I definitely would love to hear your insights on this matter.

Question submitted 19/02/21 @ 06:34pm
Industry: HR & Talent
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Morning – while I certainly know that there are critical workers coming into NZ, I am not across personally the firms that have been able to achieve this. More 2nd hand. However to your second question – are there worker shortages and/or struggling to find people in certain areas – I know a lot of businesses that are struggling with this – from electricians being one in solar installations to many other areas from what I know. I think most business owners believe that it is pretty hard to get workers through the border for now, so they if they shortages they don’t think ‘lets get them from overseas’ – they more likely say, ‘ok what do we do now’. A

Up
    Down

HI there

This is an interesting topic and one that sits close to the pulse of two businesses that I work with. I am happy to take a call to discuss this with you but here are my initial thoughts on their behalf.

1) have you brought in anyone overseas through the critical worker criteria from INZ – one x yes and one x no
    2) Is your business able to find local skilled talents and do you feel the need to hire from someone overseas. Yes both my clients are 100% keen to hire overseas. They struggle to find talent which is holding back the performance of their companies. One has established an cadet academy which they are trying to promote around schools. The other is considering bringing on an academy to bring in school leaver talent

Up
    Down

We have looked into this and the main issue is the definition of critical workers is very narrow (Criteria for long term critical workers):
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/covid-19-information-for-employers/bringing-works-to-nz

Of note, the criteria mostly relates to the delivery or execution of:
    a government-approved event, or
    major government-approved programme, or
    approved major infrastructure project.

There is a list of the approved projects here (mostly government infrastructure project):
    https://www.immigration.govt.nz/about-us/covid-19/covid-19-information-for-employers/bringing-works-to-nz/events-projects-programmes-approved-for-other-critical-workers

So if this is a line of work you wish to pursue, I would suggest contacting the companies that are working on these projects to see if they need any help, or how they are getting on with INZ and getting people into NZ on these.

This is a big issue with many companies struggling to find staff in certain roles, e.g. IT roles, but the current INZ rules do not help with most of these type of roles.

Good luck!

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.