fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
How can I attract clients to book in for Makeup services after lockdown? 

Question submitted 03/05/20 @ 11:02am
Industry: Services
VIEW
VOTE
  • Do you currently have a makeup services business? Ultimately I would start by thinking about your target audience, and where they go to find information on Makeup services.

We know they are likely women, what age are they, in which city/areas do they live, how do they spend their time, which magazines do they read, which websites do they visit, how do they spend their time on social media? If you can gather this information (ideally using data from your existing business, or by creating a short interview guide to ask prospective customers) that will help inform how do develop your marketing strategy and guide your marketing mix.

I would create a persona of this ideal target customer, and then based on the information above make decisions on whether you want to advertise on social media, magazines, use PR, partnerships, events etc.

I’d also ensure you have a solid web presence with a good website, and the ability for your clients to book online. Your website should contain information about the services you provide, what makes your business different from others who provide Makeup services (your unique selling proposition), and ways to easily understand your schedule and make an appointment. It should of course also contain information on where/how to find you (your address), opening hours etc, and any other information that you think will be helpful to your clients (ie nearby parking etc).

If you conduct interviews with prospective clients I’d ask them what keywords they use to describe your services, and ensure thesee are embedded in your website so it is search engine optimized (your SEO strategy). These keywords are likely also going to be useful to you in a paid search strategy, so that when customers google “makeup” “makeup for my wedding” etc your site comes up in the top search results.

I hope this helps~

Epic advice from Kirsty. I would just add that there are things you could be doing right now to service your clientele if you aren’t already. I have always wanted to learn how to do my own makeup from a pro but have never had (or made) the time – and now would be a great time to book in for a tutorial. How to get makeup right for Zoom etc.
    Do you also sell product? If not, it could be good to look into this. Mother’s Day coming up, could be a great gift.
    If you usually sell makeup services for special occasions I would do your research as Kirsty says, around the way your clientele will be needing your services in the future. Conducting a survey is a great time to check in with existing or prospective customers and build that relationship in an authentic way.
    Best wishes

Hi there. I’d suggest you think about a few things;

1. What are your customers EMOTIONAL NEEDS, that would trigger them to ‘want’ a make-over post Lock-down? Maybe you know your customers quite well; what personal circumstances might you be able to connect with them on? EG birthdays, post-lockdown friend reunions, husbands / boyfriends buying gifts for wives to make them feel better about ‘returning to normal’! The more you can connect with your customers – as smaller groups – based on what you know about them, the more likely you are to convert interest to bookings.

2. What can you OFFER them now? Is there someway you can connect with them now, whilst you are in lock-down, that will keep you front and mind, present with them, and connected to their lives? Such as free tutorials, links to articles, find products online they might want to buy? Stay connected and communicating with your customers and they will remember you / appreciate this once they are able to re-book.

3. Consider ALTERNATIVES to your core business. Recognising that people will be short of $ for the next 12 months and possibly looking for ‘short-cuts’ to still look after their appearance, but maybe not paying full price. Can you do cut-down versions of your makeovers? Can you sell products directly? Can you room ‘make-over’ classes or group sessions? Can you partner with hair-salons to do bundled deals?

Our lives, sadly, may not return to ‘fully normal’ for some time. So plan for multiple eventualities to keep your business thriving.
    Best wishes,
    Melissa

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.