fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
How can I confidently approach prospects (B2B)? I’m young and don’t want people to dismiss me/not take me seriously. (Small business IT management/support – a.k.a Managed Service Provider / Cloud Service Provider)

Question submitted 19/01/21 @ 02:24pm
Industry: Digital and Technology
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

We had the same problem when we started our web development business (Mogul). The best thing we did was get professional sales training. A good sales trainer will equip you with everything you need to develop your value proposition, create a sales pipeline, and close deals. Sales is not something you are born knowing how to do – you need to take it seriously and you will make mistakes along the way. A mentor is vital to get you started. Good luck. Cheers Matt.
    Blatant plug: we used Brett Burgess from Sales Impact Group.

Up
    Down

Hi Taane,

What an exciting industry to join (I work for an ISP).

As a starter, be really clear on the value proposition of your business and how you will differentiate yourself from competitors/others in market. Be very clear that you can articulate the solutions and value that you provide (and ensure you use language your target market understands – at Voyager when speaking with small business owners, we want to talk their language – not Telco talk with over 1 million acronyms!)

Develop your personal branding statement – your catchphrase as to what your expertise is and what makes you unique – this you can use as a conversation starter when contacting prospects. Leverage your youth in this statement – along the lines of how you keep a pulse on the latest and greatest in technology and come forward with relevant and robust solutions.

Align yourself with industries, company size and complexities that will be a good fit with your business model.

Your ability to understand the needs of a business and deliver a solution is more important than how old you are. When you start to grow your business (linkedin will be a good channel for you, and consider becoming a dealer of an existing product / solution like https://voyager.nz/partners to be able to leverage their market positio/credibility also), be sure to ask for testimonials, referrals and five star google reviews.

All the very best, Angela

Up
    Down

Hi,

Hopefully some practical advice… Do not mention your age!

There is no need to create a bias if it is not necessary.

Honestly, why does it make a difference but it does to some. By raising it, those that have a bias will start to bring it into play.

Age nowadays counts for very little in digital sales. Give it heaps!

Cheers,
    Bruce

Up
    Down

Hi Taane

You’re getting some great advice here.

My business partners were early 20’s when we started Rocketspark and age didn’t seem to be a factor. Our customers are mainly businesses and most were older. A great product and service were the key for good word of mouth to kick start the growth.

Having your customers tell your story with great testimonials / reviews helps bypass potential age bias and having a hot looking website with the testimonials woven through is a great way to get the message across without having to say it yourself. Be sure to ask clients for reviews and testimonials as they are not often given out without asking even when you have very happy clients.

Hope that helps.

Grant

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.