fbpx

Let's get down to business.

• wonderlandstorenz

Business Owner

@wonderlandstorenz

How can i increase sales through my website

Question submitted 01/06/21 @ 04:38pm

Hi there, I am a small business owner. I operate a vintage clothing company online. I began in January and have been using social media (FB, Instagram and recently TikTok) to promote and advertise the company. However, from the last 6 months i have made maybe 8 sales through the website. I listed a few things on trademe and they sold rather quickly which showed me the items are desirable. Its obviously me and my marketing thats the issue. I really need help on building the brand and marketing it better.

• Comments

• Views

• Shares

• Reuben Halper

Industry Expert

@reuben-halper

Reply submitted 01/06/21 @ 04:38pm

Up
        Down

Hi there – What exactly are you selling? I would look at setting up Google search campaigns and Google shopping campaigns (again depending on what you’re selling) as that provides a great opportunity to reach people when they are raising their hand and actively seeking out your products. I would think about the activity around building your brand as different from your goal of immediately selling product. Yes, you need to do both but they work in different timeframes and should be judged differently. When you’re trying to build a brand you’re trying to make sure that your target audience are away of you and have a positive association so that the next time they are thinking of buying something in your category, your brand is likely to come to mind and be chosen. If you’re trying to drive immediate sales then you want to do more ‘performance’ marketing, so things like Google and FB that are talking to people who are likely to be interested in your product right now and ready to buy. For a good 4 minute overview of brand building vs. activation have a watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OSr-Fwp7N8

Hope that helps and happy to continue the conversation.

Nga mihi,
        -Reuben

• Shares

• Annabelle Lindberg

Industry Expert

@annabelle-lindberg

Up
        Down

Hi There!

Thanks so much for your question. I have lots of experience with selling clothing so believe I could help. With your product, a social media following, a good website, and nice incentives are key to attracting customers and making sales. Try and think about what your difference is compared to your competitors such as Retro Roots, Restated Vintage. What are you offering that they aren’t? Why would a customer buy from you instead of them?

Social media is definitely the best option to gain sales for your business I believe. It’s just about making sure you are really optimising and making the most of it. I would love to know what you have currently been doing to gain sales. Have you been using Facebook Ads Manager or boosting any posts? I’ve added an article here about the benefits of boosting posts https://climb-online.co.uk/9-exciting-benefits-of-instagram-paid-advertising/

I would love to be able to help you as I have lots of experience with selling products and have my own personal store that sells swimwear and clothing! I’m 21yrs old and also have a huge passion for vintage clothing 🙂 Please feel free to contact me at annabellelindberg30@gmail.com. I have also sent you a message via my consulting Instagram @annabellelindbergconsulting

Annabelle

• Shares

• Rebecca Caroe

Industry Expert

@rcaroe

Up
        Down

Adding to the excellent advice from Annabelle and Reuben I suggest that you add an email newsletter to your marketing suite.

The reason is this
        1 – everyone has an email address and they own and control it.
        2 – the risk of relying too heavily on social media is high if the algorithm changes or your account gets hacked
        3 – paying for advertising is only possible while you are profitable (and you aren’t yet)

I expect you already get email newsletters from other clothing brands (if you don’t, I suggest joining Wixx as they do a mix of vintage and new). Read each one they send, analyse it and then adapt it for yourself.
        How to analyse an email newsletter:
        – Read it all the way through
        – is it short, long or medium?
        – How many articles and images are there?
        – Was the headline interesting? Did it make you want to open and read?
        – What calls to action were in it? Did they EXPLICITLY ask you to do something e.g. buy, read, click
        – what were the articles about? e.g. dresses, summer edit, the team, restaurants, gigs etc

These will give you a simple list of newsletter elements which you can put into your own work.

Frequency – you should send a newsletter and update your social accounts every time you have new stock in. So weekly is a bare minimum for a business like yours. Pick a day of the week and time of day when your audience are ready to buy…. not while they’re at work.

Then people ask me about software. You must choose newsletter software that integrates with your ecommerce shop software. So you know who clicked and then bought. This is imperative. Do not buy anything that doesn’t join up these two elements of your business.

Over to you – Go Rock It.

• Shares

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.