fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
How do I create a ‘brand’? I want to be as recognizable and well-loved as Pak’nSave or Whittakers.

Question submitted 19/06/20 @ 08:58am
Industry: Brand & Marketing
VIEW
VOTE
  • Interesting question. Try thinking about a brand as a relationship you want to develop with another person – your customer. It requires your brand to stand for something and the more you can define that “something” the more understandable it will be for customers to know what benefits your brand (product or service) can provide them. It not simply a nice logo. To become a Whittakers or Pak’n Save takes time, money and consistent clarity in communication of that “something”. Clearly Pak’n Save is all about value, Whittakers is about about heritage. Their messages reflect these inherent properties consistently no matter what media channels they use include instore comms. Unfortunately there is no quick solution but if you are genuine about building a brand and need support you can contact me directly at jwoodbridge@xtra.co.nz.
    All the Best
    James

I think you want to define your Brand Strategy, based on the below:

What you do:
    – Your Purpose
    – Your Brand Promise

Why you do it:
    – Your Stakeholders (employees, customers, shareholders etc)
    – Your Point of View

How you do it:
    – Your Brand Experience
    – Your Brand Personality
    – Your Values

To build onto James’ perspective, I found this CMO’s guide to generating an emotional response to your brand (Forrester August 2017)

Pick three target emotions that you want to associate with your brand.
    (Using Outside-In thinking) This requires a combination of outside-in and inside-out thinking. Start on the outside by measuring the emotions your customers currently associate with the brand, like we do with Forrester’s brand energy framework. Then look inside, analyzing which emotions best predict overall emotional intensity and which drive strategic outcomes that the brand values — likelihood to recommend or willingness to pay a premium, for example. Pick the top three emotions that your customers feel intensely and that drive outcomes the brand cares about.

Promise customers and prospects emotional satisfaction.
    With target emotions in hand, your ad messages — in today’s traditional channels and in tomorrow’s nontraditional channels like augmented reality — must signal to consumers that your brand can provide emotional outcomes. The creative can be moving and subtle, but the message must be obvious. State clearly which specific emotions your experience will deliver along with the rational features and benefits you want to promote. Tie those emotions to specific people, places, things, and actions in ways that align with the emotional systems in your customers’ minds.

Deliver on the emotional promise.
    Upon receiving an emotional promise, the customer’s emotional prediction engine starts to predict whether that emotion will be fulfilled. It seeks evidence to support or reject the promise throughout the journey. When your retail outlet, mobile app, product unboxing, or customer support experience fails to deliver the emotional value promised in the ad, the brain logs that failure to deliver in long-term memory. Emotion-ready marketers will check that each customer touchpoint delivers the target emotions, asking how each moment explicitly fulfills the customer’s emotional prediction.

Measure the emotional outcome.
    Remember, even though you chose target emotions, you can’t force the customer to experience precisely those emotions in exactly the way you imagined. Respect their emotional context and recognize that whatever emotions result can still be positive for your brand. If you chose to emphasize a feeling of confidence yet a segment of your customers instead experienced calm, explore what that means for you. Is their calm the result of your confidence? Or are they isolating aspects of your product experience that you didn’t realize were as compelling as they are? Let your customers’ emotions lead your next iteration of campaign, experience, and product design

I have a number of graphics around developing brand strategy from Forrester and Sirius Decisions, that for some reason I can’t link in this forum. If you connect with me on LinkedIn I’d be happy to share them with you.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.