fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
I am a sole trader without GST number and thinking about importing goods from oversea. Do I have to register a GST number for my business for importing? Thank you.

Question submitted 29/07/20 @ 12:52pm
Industry: Funding & Finance
VIEW
VOTE
  • Kia Ora – so I just went and googled this – with summary below – short answer however is that if you think you will earn more than $60k in 12 months – you have to register for GST – if you don’t, you don’t need too. However, the authorities will always look at your ‘asssesment on this question’ around ‘were you reasonable’ – so just make sure you think it through. https://www.business.govt.nz/tax-and-accounting/basic-tax-types/introduction-to-taxes-and-levies/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwvIT5BRCqARIsAAwwD-TkAr81OHZINd7C4KtFqQAPdR03-rILAxk_4fwNAnHNMB7tfqhKR6kaApJTEALw_wcB

Goods and services tax (GST) is added to the price of most products and services. If you’re GST registered, you can claim back the GST you pay on goods or services you buy for your business. You can also charge GST (15%) on what you sell — this is collecting it on the government’s behalf.

As soon as you think you’ll earn more than $60,000 in 12 months, you have to register for GST. You can choose to file GST returns monthly, every two months, or every six months.

If you don’t think you’ll turn over that much, it’s up to you whether or not to register. One benefit of voluntary registration is you might be able to claim a GST refund, eg if you have a lot of expenses but not much income. Once you’ve registered, you have to complete regular GST returns.

If you’re using accounting software to manage your business finances you might be able to file your GST through your software. Or you can pay GST online using Inland Revenue’s myGST service, a new section of myIR.

hello. just checked your comment for importing. you may no need for gst in case of export theoritically but practically, it is impossible to bring imported goods at your business place without gst registration. for mare assistance or gst guide, you may write at- taxadvisory.in@gmail.com or visit-

https://www.taxadvisory.in/

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.