fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
I am about to “Go Live” with my website and Facebook pages. I am a sole trader, working with teams to challenge the way they operate / lead. In the past, my business was gained by reputation and word of mouth. Now that I am on my own, I believe it is time to have more of an online presence as some of my market will be completing online courses. What is your recommendation for the frequency of writing blogs and posting to Facebook or LinkedIn? Also, should that be to market or to educate my followers? Or both?My thoughts were along the lines of posting two – three times Thank you.

Question submitted 07/04/21 @ 05:35pm
Industry: Digital & Online Marketing
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Morena RaeMac

I am looking forward to seeing what the other advisors and experts say on this topic – what I have learned on engaging audiences is that being consistent and regular in your posting enables you to build an engagement with you audience. The other aspect is understanding what your audience actually wants to see, wants to read – you can get this from the engagement, but also trying to understand from direct engagement with them about their interests – obviously the outcome of what action people take e.g. liking, sharing, commenting helps indicate whether the content is something they are interested in – and ultimately the actions in terms of sales if that is what you are looking for.

I reckon, trial and error is a good approach for a period of time.

Go well. Andy

Up
    Down

How exciting for you RaeMac. In terms of blogging, LinkedIn and Facebook posts, you’ll want to treat them all differently. Firstly make sure you have a goal in mind. What are you hoping to achieve with your postings? This will help set the scene for the content you plan. For Facebook, 3 times a week is a great benchmark. Just be aware that you may need to put a little bit of money behind your posts as organic reach (the number of people your posts reach without paying for it) is low these days. Building an audience from scratch can be challenging so a little bit of budget helps! Posting a varied range of posts is a good approach and planning your social calendar in advance is always a big help. So for your three posts in a week you might want to focus one post on behind the scenes i.e. who you are, something that makes you different, what you’re working on at the moment. Post 2 might be based around a theme that you carry through the month e.g. what makes an effective leader. Then Post 3 might be sqmething light hearted, a quote or sharing a relevant article (maybe your own blog?).

Think about your audience and ensure that your posts are written to suit – Facebook posts and LinkedIn posts will likely be different because of this. On LinkedIn you can post less frequently – once a week would be a good start but of course it depend on your goals. If you’re using LinkedIn as a primary tool to generate leads, then more frequent posting and engagement may be required.

Blogging is time intensive so only take on what you know you can consistently stick to. Blogging once a month is a great start and see if you can stockpile a few blogs in advance to help. Don’t post them all up at once. The same goes for Facebook and LinkedIn posts – if you have some fresh content that you really want to post up, reschedule any posts that are already planned – posting in quick succession will just mean that your posts compete against eachother.

At this early stage the key is testing and then reviewing the results i.e. post 3 times a week for three weeks then 5 times a week for the next 3 weeks and review what happens. Did reach increase, engagement drop etc etc. This will help you to understand what works for your page and audience and build a plan accordingly. Do the same with your psots – use the Insights section of your Facebook page to review which posts are the most popular and then create more content like that!

In terms of marketing vs educating, your posts should do both and you’ll need to find the right balance. A good approach is to provide some excellent education and then link it back to your product or service. E.g. If I have a business where I make cocktails in people’s homes I could provide the link to a great classic cocktail recipe then link back to my service. As long as it’s relevant that makes sense. And chances are that people are following your page anyway because they want to learn more about your services.

Also while you’re getting into the Facebook groove, try and get the Facebook pixel up on your website. There are lots of tutorials on YouTube and in blogs that can walk you through how to do this. It’s great to get this foundation in place early.

Up
    Down

Hi There RaeMac

Claire has given you some specific helpful advice on when to publish and where.

I would like to challenge you first to think carefully about your strategy with regard to your audience.
    – How can you serve them?
    – What will they buy from you (now and in the future)
    – How can you create a personal, scalable business that doesn’t just trade hours for dollars?

A couple of specific bits of advice while you plan your content strategy
    1 – Understand the needs of your customer
    2 – Don’t give everything away for free
    3 – Productise your services so they can be sold en masse [build up to this over time]
    4 – Add on support products / services which serve the industry and underpin your area of expertise

This may sound complex – but it’s important to have a long term strategy of where you want to go with your freelance business before you get down into the detail of what to publish on Facebook this week.

May I recommend you sign up to Unemployable? https://unemployable.com/

Their podcast is called 7 Figure Small. This podcast and advisory course (paid) is built for people like you.
    This episode published this morning “The Rise of the Personal Enterprise”.
    It defines what a personal enterprise is, outlines the forces converging to make now the right time to get started, and describes what your revenue and audience building mindsets should be to get you started off in a way that can you support you now and scale later.

https://podcasts.google.com/feed/aHR0cHM6Ly9yYWlubWFrZXIuZm0vc2VyaWVzL3VuZW1wbG95YWJsZS9mZWVkLw/episode/aHR0cHM6Ly9hcGkuc3ByZWFrZXIuY29tL2VwaXNvZGUvNDQyMjA1MzY?hl=en-NZ&ved=2ahUKEwin_676ku3vAhW74jgGHczXD30QjrkEegQIAxAF&ep=6

Up
    Down

Hi Rae

Good stuff reaching out. You’re getting some great advice here!

I won’t double up on the advice and just add a few of points to accentuate the advice:
    – We see often that clients who write genuinely helpful content in their blog do well with their search results. Think carefully about the types of questions potential clients will be searching for and answer those questions in your blog.
    – Make sure that your blog post titles and blog content contain the keywords people are searching for.
    – I see you’ve used Flint to help set up your SEO content which is great. Please check out that Flint is recommending to get more of the keywords onto your pages as just having a keyword on the page once isn’t enough of a signal to Google as to what the page is about.
    – Having a content plan / calendar of what you plan to produce is really important for creating accountability to keep producing content.

Also, be sure to consider how you can use your site to convert word of mouth referrals into new clients. I recommend adding your photo to your home page and a little taster of some of your credentials to lead people through to your about page. Also consider having logos for some of your key credentials that you have as these will be recognisable to others without needing to read the text.

Kind regards

Grant

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.