fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
I am in my second year of running a small boutique home stay/ bed and breakfast in Gibbston, Queenstown, mainly overseas customers. It will be a while before I can start operating again as this is also my home.  In the meantime I need help to market  to NZ, look at what I am offering and see if it can be adapted / changed. I have a website but my social media isn’t great. Most bookings have come through booking.com  with some direct from my website pipsorchard.co.nz   I feel there are lots of opportunities here, it’s just where to start and how to start working with other organisations here to leverage off each other. Plus financially as with everyone, funds are limited. Kindest Pip 

Question submitted 18/04/20 @ 02:47pm
Industry: Tourism
VIEW
VOTE
  • Pip, it’s certainly a very challenging time for tourism in the Queenstown area, and not likely to rebound quickly unfortunately. So, it’s really good you are being proactive and thinking about your next steps. Given it’s a domestic market for quite some time, suggest you ensure your product is distributed as widely as possible on all the various listing sites and channels to maximise your reach. In terms of your existing guest database, if there are some domestic guests amongst the mix, good to reach out to them when we the country starts to have more travel movement. Have a look at your pricing to ensure it’s competitive, as prices may need to be lowered to reflect the lower demand. If you want to build up your own direct bookings, then having the website with direct bookings is great. You’ll need to increase the visibility of the site, and can do so with good content with related key words. Coming up with an SEO strategy is something we can give more support on, if this is the direction you want to go. Suggest you also reach out to Destination Queenstown as their plans develop to see how you can participate in any marketing activity they may be doing.

The other option to consider is long term rentals, as an alternative to short term.

Well done on being so proactive.

Some great advice from Leslie, and agree, make sure you are still price competitive and stay close to DQ as they will no doubt be rolling out a domestic marketing campaign soon. If you are not already a member of this group on FB might be worth joining, https://www.facebook.com/groups/647725352678015/ has over 800 members ow and you might even be able to offer some industry rates to fellow industry people for when restrictions are lifted.
    You might like to offer a free bottle of Central Otago Pinot Noir to sweeten the deal on your website, possibly run a competition on FB to win a free night to grow awareness of your product and any deals you may have. this site has just been launched and is about to get a lot of PR so you might like to do something for these guys who are supporting health care workers with great deals to say thank you http://www.thankyouhealthcare.co.nz
    Best of luck.

Hi Pip,

This is great that you’re taking this challenge as an opportunity to swivel your business. We’re cheering for you 🙂

Lots of good advice coming through so far. It may be worthwhile to reflect on your bed and breakfast accommodation offering and think about who is your ideal target domestic customer that aligns to what you have to offer (your product). Is there an age demographic or values alignment (ex. sustainability) that you think would be most attracted to your product?

Once you have a target customer in mind, you can build your tactics to help attract that demographic. For example, if you were targeting an older demographic or families, bookabach might be a better platform to focus on; as opposed to Airbnb if you wanted to target more of a millennial age group.

You could also take a look at smart ways of using social media. Focus on the basics (Facebook and instagram) and building a presence so you can be found and people can share when they visit your gorgeous piece of NZ!

If a younger demographic is of interest to you; you could look at connecting with micro influencers in different regions of NZ to help build awareness of your offering.

Sing out if you want to bounce more ideas. Wishing you the best!

Danyel

First of all apologies for taking time to get back to you all, you gave me lots to think about and research. Many thanks for your thoughts, really appreciated and it has got me thinking. I’ve been mind mapping ideas from all three of you, @jason-hill and @danyel.
    I’m busy writing content, working on my COVID health and safety plan and looking at directions to move into ie agri- tourism, plus the GO Tourism passport course is really good for identifying how the markets worked. I’m developing a social media strategy for Facebook and possibly instagram and working on a blog. Pricing is going to take some thought and I’m looking at added value currently although, as suggested, I don’t think I’ll be able to include a bottle of Central Otago Pinot. Cargo cider might be a possibility though. Seriously, many thanks for your help and ideas. I’m sure I will have more questions though.
    Kindest
    Pip

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.