fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
I don’t want to sit on my hands until the travel industry starts up again, what can I do to grow my travel business in the meantime when nobody is thinking/planning travel anytime soon?

Question submitted 26/03/20 @ 09:18am
Industry: Tourism
VIEW
VOTE
  • There will be significant pent up demand when restriction begin to loosen. Likely this will start with domestic tourism, then cross Tasman, then those countries deemed to be safe. Maybe start with product development geared at those waves of travellers.

Whats your financial exposure/position like currently? Understanding this better helps build a plan outwards.

Hi Jodi,
    a couple of suggestions and further places to connect into below. I see you are a travel broker, my area is mostly involved in inbound tourism but these might be helpful to you especially if you are interested in changing roles and open to anything.
    – the travel recovery will be in waves, starting local, domestic, Australia, etc, I would suggest refocus to start with how your services can swing into action to support New Zealanders to get together again, as we will be over meeting on line by then.. specials for local conferences, team building events etc.
    – be proactive on Linked In and connect with businesses and people you might like to work with or promote to in the future.
    – join the tourism industry community group in Facebook, there are over 600 people on here already sharing ideas and intel https://www.facebook.com/groups/647725352678015/
    – Go to the Go with Tourism website https://www.gowithtourism.co.nz/ heaps of help and advice there, a lot may not be relevant to you though.
    – If you need to look for a job or a new role later when things start to recover send your CV to emma.crabtree@tourismtalent.co.nz http://www.tourism-talent.com
    – take the time create a business plan based on the outlook now, consider new target segments that maybe haven’t traditionally been your clients
    – could you partner / join forces with anyone else and prepare to attack the market together when you can..?
    – now is obviously no the time to go into promotion mode but certainly planning and strategy planning can be done

There will be pent up demand and desire to travel when we can so if you can hang in there, create products and packages that meet needs that mat be different than before.. you should do well later. Best of luck.

You can still stay connected with your customer base through social media or emails. Keep them inspired during these periods of isolation. Keep them dreaming. Keep them thinking about the time after lock-down is over. Then, you will be better placed to be top of mind when the economy re-opens and people start traveling again.

Hi Jodi
    I see you have a speciality in incentive travel.
    Perhaps develop a new product focused on essential service companies operating now (with increasingly stressed and tired teams) and for companies coming out of lockdown (who will need to find ways to incentivise teams whilst simultaneously reducing their remuneration).
    If you secured good deals now from airlines, accommodation and operators, the perceived value of the incentive could be great whilst the cost could be affordable to companies with severely reduced post-lockdown budgets.
    Best of luck
    Cheers, Paul

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.