fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
I would like to know if we have anything in NZ like an annual sports conference that brings all sports together to discuss, teach learn about innovation in the sports business world? I feel if there isn’t there should be something to help boost our athletes and sports groups into future sustainability.  

Question submitted 19/04/20 @ 07:17am
Industry: Business Growth
VIEW
VOTE
  • Good morning! There is lots of activity in this area at an individual sport level. As a kick starter maybe contact High Performance Sport NZ who are still operating remotely through Lockdown and ask them about what happens in this space. They will have a great network across the country and codes and can point you in the right direction of what is already happening and maybe if there are gaps as well. They operate at a higher performance level (eg: Olympic and world class) but will have a great knowledge across the whole ecosystem in NZ

Home

Morena, this is a good question, my initial thoughts are (1) keep an eye out on Facebook Groups (2) reach out to groups like high performance and community sports organisation (3) use some manaaki and ask others to make this a thing – it will happen because it is such a good idea, keep sharing, and keep pushing!

Hi there. We are on the same page and this needs to happen! As it stands and Vicky mentioned, the NSO’s (National Sports Organizations) tend to run their own. NZ Rugby ran a very productive one last year.

A quick summary of the public ones:
    SPRINZ via AUT, would currently get the best cross section of people attending, although it focuses more on the S&C’s and Sports Science community with dipping their toe into innovation in Sport.
    Sports and Exercise Science (SESNZ) also run a good conference – more research based.
    Perhaps the closest to what you are suggesting has been the Sport Performance Innovation Forums. I presented there in 2018 and had a lot of diversity and LOTS of good innovation and show cases. I did not attend 2019 due to being away and don’t know if the format remained… not sure it did. It was supported by Callaghan from memory.

The missing piece is bringing sport, innovation and business together. Currently I am involved with the design and build of the NZ Campus of Innovation and Sport (Wellington) … happy to support this coming together. We have recently signed a partnership with NTT, which provides a very exciting opportunity to have sport and business working very closely, along with some other big hitters in sports equipment and technology. We are looking to open mid 2021. Feel free to connect directly. All the best JT

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.