fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
If I get requests from my website etc can I send products out?

I work from a home-based jewellery studio and send items to gallery-outlets for “sale or return”. Though we operate from home we have a CourierPost site code and their couriers know us here.
The galleries already have a decent stock my and others work in stock and a lot of the galleries have switched to online selling.

Question 1. If a gallery makes a sale for an item of my jewellery from stock can they courier it to the customer?

Question 2: I have an online presence as well. Can I take online orders myself and ship it to them with Courierpost?

Thanks

Question submitted 31/03/20 @ 01:55pm
Industry: Fashion
VIEW
VOTE
  • Hi Brian,
    A really good question which is being discussed ALOT in the world of retail. I am a stickler for the rules in times like this. We all need to do our bit and for those trying to get around the guidelines, you tend to get a lot of push back from customers and the public which can destroy your brand.

NZ Post and Courier services are continuing to ensure the service levels of essential businesses.

Essential businesses and those that support them – for instance in their supply chains – will continue to provide necessities to all New Zealanders. The New Zealand government continues to update its list of what is deemed to be an essential business. If you are unsure if you are an essential business supplier visit http://www.covid19.govt.nz/government-actions/covid-19-alert-level/#Essential-businesses

I can’t see your business or your customer’s galleries as a necessity (even to solve a “must-have” purchase). There are retailers still sending their products but you can see the crap they are copping. Big chains like Mecca and Ezibuy are despatching through their Australian distribution network. Is this fair? No. I even have seen Repertoire (an NZ fashion brand) has been dispatching. Why are they above the rules?

Are they getting grief? Yes.
    Want to see the type of grief these businesses are getting? Go to Facebook and look at the feedback Cotton-on is getting. I don’t think it is worth it for the damage it is doing to its brand.

A big brand can survive the loss of loyalists. I am not sure a credible NZ brand should put themselves in that position.

The simple answer to the question is that unless it’s an essential service, no, you can’t ship items to customers via the existing networks until the restrictions are lifted. What you can look at is taking orders via your online presence but setting expectations with customers that the items will not be fulfilled until the situation changes. That way you can keep a pipeline of orders flowing and maintain brand saliency at the front-end of the store.

As soon as we hit level 3 on Tuesday yes! You can take orders now and get them packaged and ready to send on Tuesday 🙂

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.