fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Kia ora! I am launching a new board game for speakers and learners of te reo Māori, and have sourced some (particularly luxe) sand timers from a company in Guangdong China on Ali Baba. I have received samples which we are happy with. I want to place a large order (approx 1000pcs) and the best quote I have received is (in USD) $0.51 per piece, plus $667 in freight. Total $1,177 USD for 1000 units. I know there is a tax threshold in NZ where you have to pay GSTSo my questions are:* Should we break up the order into smaller chunks that fit under this threshold?* Is there anything I should be aware of/due diligence to do before doing this business internationally?Thank you in advance!Ngā mihiRosie

Question submitted 11/11/20 @ 09:30pm
Industry: International
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Kia ora – this page answers some of your question:
    https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/faqs/

personally, I would think that approx $1.18 per unit is pretty good…

Up
    Down

Kia Ora Rosie !
    Your boardgame sounds amazing ! Welldone.
    As David has highlighted, take a look at the NZ Customs website for threshold infomration.
    It is worth noting that even if you broke the shipment down into multiple parcels, if shipped as one consignment you will still likely see it treated as the same single order/value.
    No guarantees splitting will make a difference.
    You are likely to incurr additional fees from your supplier in doing this also, as they will charge for the additonal rework, packing and documentation required in seperating this order into multiple. A good hint is to think the more they have to handle the order, the more they charge.
    As far as other due dillegence, I would be sure to check reviews. As purchaisng via Alibaba you should see reviews listed against your supplier on their site/listing. It is also worth popping them into Google and checking further reviews there.
    Trust this helps, and goodluck ! I look forward to seeing your boardgame soon 🙂
    Bex

Up
    Down

Kia ora Rosie,
    The game sounds interesting. For due diligence on sourcing from China, have a look at https://my.nzte.govt.nz/article2/a-guide-to-sourcing-from-china. You’ll have to log in to get to this. Ngā Mihi, Mike

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.