fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Kia ora,  “Kawakawa Bless” is my small business just out of Kaitaia. I manufacture vegan kawakawa rongoa of my own recipe. I developed this for myself out of necessity following servere injuries which left me with chronic pain and CPTSD. After many years of injections in my back and ribs and medicines that are highly addictive in nature, I felt extremely hopeless, I was not improving.  I chose to stop all conventional medicines over 5 years ago, using only my balm everyday since. I have gained a big part of my life back whilst still currently working on intergrating back into the community and whanau/hapu threw EMDR therapy and with the tautoko of my Wakaama sisters of my NHH “Hoe Ora” Team.My question is how can I grow my business in marketing and sales online, in both retail and bulk supply to a level where I can survive independently? I would ideally prefer to bulk supply as it is the quiet side of the business I enjoy the most.                                                                                                                        Nga mihi  Nanette Henry for Kawakawa Bless, Whakaora Mai I Mangataiore

Question submitted 08/08/20 @ 05:51pm
Industry: Business Growth
VIEW
VOTE
  • Kia Ora Nanette. Thank you for reaching out, thank you for sharing and I am so happy for you that you have found the way to recover and get a better daily life. From what you have said, you would like to either grow the business with your own products or supply bulk the products to other people who package the products and take to market? What sort of volume can you get in terms of the raw ingredients? Also have you approached any other companies and what success have you had? Andy

Hi Nanette
    Great to see that you have had success outside of a medical journey
    with a natural product, it is very much the way of the world at the moment.
    Key to your success will be a good social strategy to get your story out there and have others that are in a
    frustrated medical space perhaps look to your balm as an alternative. You will need to review your
    product labelling and create a simple E commerce website so people
    have a point of contact and ability to buy off you.
    The website needs to talk to your story (a great story is a strong sales tool)
    Reach out to those businesses that you see as being a possible distributor
    for your product and go and talk to them, get a feel for the market your are in, do you know who your your
    competitors are?
    Is there a possibility to produce your recipe for another brand (white labelling)
    The best place to start is with those that you would like to collaborate with.
    Talk to tertiary providers in the area as they will have interns
    that are studying and looking for placement(can be done remotely) that may be able to design a website as
    part of their required hours (no cost to you) and put together small social strategy for you to get you
    started.

Hi Nanette
    Key to your success will be a good social strategy to get your story out there and have others that are in a
    frustrated medical space perhaps look to your balm as an alternative. You will need to review your
    for your product and go and talk to them, get a feel for the market your are in, do you know who your your
    competitors are?
    Is there a possibility to produce your recipe for another brand (white labelling)
    that are studying and looking for placement(can be done remotely) that may be able to design a website as
    part of their required hours (no cost to you) and put together small social strategy for you to get you
    started.

Hi Nanette
    competitors are?
    started.

Kia ora Nanette,
    If life is a journey, it sounds as if your has been more challenging than most. Congratulations on navigating your way through positively. @Andyadmin has posed some good questions. What would success really look like for you? Building a business can be hard work. Often success comes from being more persistent and resilient than the next guy…and its worth thinking about what that looks like for you in balance with the rest of your life.

There are definitely examples of brands that have identified a niche and run with it – Neat Feet, Sleep Drops and others. But suspect it has been a tough journey. May be worth talking to some one like https://www.wakatu.org/ . A different iwi, but a good track record of commercializing interesting ideas. I am not sure if that is something you would consider but thought I’d put that out there 🙂

Look after yourself and te tiaki i a koe ake

Vicky

Kia ora, thankyou for your feedback, I am most grateful to everyone. Ideally I would like to supply bulk kawakawa infused coconut oil of 20 litres per week to begin with. This would intern be used by manufactuer/retailer of new or existing companies as a base to a variety of natural products for treatment of all manner of conditions to do with skin(eczema/burns/psorisis) and muscluar skeletal pain and inflamation.
    I do have a simple website Kawakawabless.com but am definately in need of insight on how to best make use of this platform. I will follow up all advice offered.

most grateful
    Nanette Henry

Hi Nanette – it is our pleasure. My wife and I talked to a friend who has in the past been in natural supplements and the like business. Her comments were –
    “This is a difficult one, as there maybe nothing proprietary in her products/ingredients, unless she has read wrong – despite the wonderful properties of Kawakawa. If you look on the web there are quite a few companies marketing, balms, teas and tonics. One possibility is that she could approach an ingredient seller, or approach one of the larger companies marketing it ie Kiwiherb to offer supply”
    – have you tried that?

Also, she said –
    “It can be difficult, because for the conditions it is supposed to help ie Dermititis, you cannot legally advertise ( as it becomes a medicine), so you end up marketing a balm.”

Andy

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.