fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
kia oraWe are in the process of launching a plant based food product that can be stored in either the chiller or freezer. Our aim is to distribute via supermarkets so wondering if anyone can provide advice on the best packaging size to accommodate the requirements of most supermarkets?

Question submitted 12/01/21 @ 08:27am
Industry: Food & Beverage
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Morena O’Higgy.
    Great question. My starting point would be – who is your target shopper and consumer, what occasion will they be buying your product for, and therefore what pack size would fit that need.

Then the price challenge! When you price that option up, how does it fit with what seems sensible versus others in the category? Can you meet the retailers margin expectations.

It might take a couple of iterations through this process to get to the absolute final answer.

Happy to assist direct is useful. Feel free to give me a call 021 999577
    All the best, Vicky

Up
    Down

Hi

Congratulations that sounds very exciting!

It is very hard to say without knowing what your product is, what occasion it serves and who your target consumer is.

As a starter I would look at similar products in the supermarket and see what they do as a guide, you should also rely on insights from your store managers/buyers – go and ask them what they think is ideal.

You also need to strike a good balance between value for money and optimum price per kg too so please keep that in consideration. Also think about space in the chiller and freezer – you need to be large enough that your product stands out (pack format and design will help with this) but not so large that you take up lots of space as the chiller/freezer space is at a premium.

As far as units per inner go if it is a new product the smaller number per units the better – I would aim for your category minimum units per store per week that you need to hit without being delisted – probably something between 6 and 8. Again ask your buyer/store manager and look at what other successful brands in your category do.

Hopefully that helps.

Good luck with your new launch!

Regards
    Maree

Up
    Down

Morena, great to hear. I can connect you up with a few other businesses that have launched similar products and sold into supermarkets. Send me an email with your product and details and I can make introductions – rachel.adams@manaaki.io

Up
    Down

Thank you – some great ‘food’ for thought 😀 We did some supermarket research today and realized our packaging (and contents) were too small for our TA. Will follow up your kind offers and be in touch. Thank you

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.