fbpx

Let's get down to business.

• Maria

Business Owner

@maria

organizing a workshop on entrepreneurship and small business mentoring

Question submitted 13/07/21 @ 09:16pm

My name is Maria and I work with Lower Hutt Muslimah Committee (https://www.lhmuslimahcommittee.com/) for the social wellbeing of Muslim Women in the region. At current, I am working as the wellington representative of IWCNZ (https://www.iwcnz.org.nz/). We are aiming to plan and organize an event about “entrepreneurship and small business initiatives” for educating and inspiring Muslim women (where some of them are already engaged in trade activities and there are several others equipped with the skills and qualifications but need mentoring). I was wondering if we can get some help from you to arrange a workshop encompassing the different dimensions of growth in new startups, an introduction to the support available through different government agencies for the new entrepreneurs and other aspects of small business mentoring.

Category: Start-ups
      • Comments

• Views

• Shares

• Andrew Hamilton

Admin

@andyadmin

Reply submitted 13/07/21 @ 09:16pm

Up
        Down

Kia Ora Maria – thank you for sharing and for your mahi in helping to support the community. Love it and I wish you all the best for this work to make a difference.

You have asked some challenging questions for us here at Manaaki – we are I hope good at answering questions that come onto the platform about areas where we have experience and expertise. Many of these are areas are where our advisors have depth of experience- how do use Facebook, how to hire people, how to raise capital – and then yours questions are more focused on some system things like – how to engage with Government for support while mentoring your community members who are going on their own business journey. You also ask about running a workshop.

For now, Manaaki is a platform that is virtual – we believe also in partnering with and engaging with local stakeholders like regional business partners in each region to complement the good work they already do.

Of course, we also have advisors based across the country – who themselves might be interested in collaborating or helping to run that workshop you are looking too.

Have you tried to reach out to your Lower Hutt Council and/or Regional Business Partner? What about Creative HQ out of the Wellington CBD?

I would always welcome letting your community members know that whenever they have questions on their startup or their business, to just come to the platform and ask away – we will I am sure have advisors that will help on each question.

Happy to chat on the phone if that helps – I think running the workshop is not what Manaaki is about or resourced to do, but there might be Wellington based advisors who could be keen to get involved?

Maybe we would put something into our networks to ask if they would be interested to support?

• Shares

• Justin Douché

Industry Expert

@justin-douche

Reply submitted 13/07/21 @ 09:16pm

Up
        Down

Hi Maria, assalamu alaikum.

In the Wellington region we have many people that can help! We have mentors/coaches/entrepreneurs that volunteer through the Startup Weekend community, programmes that teach entrepreneurship, a local Regional Business Partner that supports local businesses. We also have personal contacts from our local communities (incl. the Wellington Muslim community and Iwi) that can help navigate the different process and agencies.

There are different support and funding options, but sometimes these can be too heavy or a distraction for your aims and outcomes of the workshop. If you just need help you could talk to the Startup Weekend Wellington team for design help or the Rebel Business School Aotearoa team about potential facilitation.

If you need funding, you could talk to Hutt City Council to explore potential funding options for the workshop (Community Engagement/Resilience/Mayor Grants) or talk to WellingtonNZ about early stage business support.

I’m also very happy to talk you through anything and give potential contacts for both the workshop and future community support. Justin

• Shares

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.