fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
So I have a website… Now what? How can we encourage people to actually visit it?

Question submitted 18/06/20 @ 11:05am
Industry: Brand & Marketing
VIEW
VOTE
  • Ah, now that’ll be the marketing bit. 😉

Firstly, is your site an eCommerce site? i.e. do you expect people to go to it to make purchases (?) or just find information? Let’s assume we’re talking eCommerce here…

You want to understand who will buy and how you best reach them. If you’re an existing business that’s added an eCommerce component you probably know who your customers are. If it’s a new business you probably have some assumptions around who your customers might be – and you want to validate them. So, Step 1: Make a list of all the types of customers (people and/or businesses) you know or think might buy your product(s). Can you segment these into different classes/demographics?

Step 2: Understanding were website traffic comes from… Traffic can come to your website via various sources or channels. Here’s some examples:
    – Direct traffic: I type your website URL into the browser.
    – Organic search traffic: I search for something on Google/Bing and your website comes up in the search results (but not as an ad).
    – Paid search traffic: I search for something on Google/Bing and your website comes up in the search results as a paid ad.
    – Advertising (non search): You have text or display advertising campaigns running across other websites that drive traffic to your site.
    – Email: You’ve established a mailing list and periodically send out emails. The emails drive traffic to your website via click-through.
    – Web referral: Your brand and product have developed a following such that other sites are referring to your website with links. Sometimes this is incentivised in the form of an “affiliate” arrangement.
    – Social media organic
    – Social media paid

Some of these channels are free and some will cost you money. Some will consume a lot of your time (e.g. building a social media audience) and some won’t (running a simple text ad). Here’s the interesting bit: Some channels are more relevant to your customers and some channels will convert better than others (convert means visitors become buyers).

Also, some channels can be turned on/off quickly (paid channels) while others take time to develop, e.g. social following, organic search, email referral.

Which brings me to Step 3: Test and learn. Find out which channels are most relevant to your customer segments. Run some tests to validate before you ramp things up. You want to be sure you’ve got the right tracking in place before you start this. So talk to your website folks about that.

Once you’re up and running you’ll want to put particular focus into developing those low-cost or free channels…

I hope this is a useful primer on digital marketing.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.