fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Used to be in film but not sure where to go now?

I have been working in the film industry and am not sure it will be something i can continue with.

I really dont know what else to do. i have lots if ideas, but others are already doing them and i dont have a lot of money to start anything up.

Really feeling a little unsure of my future right now as im sure many are.

My website is seanhurstdesign.yolasite.com

just to give you some information on what i have done.

If you can help me find a new pathway that would be really helpful.

Have put myself under fashion as i work a lot with the body and costumes.

Sean

Question submitted 22/04/20 @ 02:42pm
Industry: Fashion
VIEW
VOTE
  • Morena – thank you for reaching out, I also jumped onto your website which shows the amazing talent and creative skills you have – incredible actually and I am inspired by you – thank you for sharing. Now let me think about some thoughts which I hope would be helpful:

– What does Sean have ‘in his assets’ that he could sell now to people with the Film Industry largely being closed down for now? Who else would value what you have now, and how do you reach them – can you work on your web site, can you add some social accounts and use things like Instagram, can you put a Shopify account up as well to sell what you have?
    – What could Sean ‘create’ that new people would value – this is different to selling what you have, this is ‘I have these skills I have developed and I can do similar things for you’ – for example, I reckon alot of people would love to have new cloths, new outfits as part of all of this Zoom, Hangouts – could you do some designer outfits for people as made to order
    – that stream might be a bit wierd, but maybe you could sell some of your art to people to sit in behind their Zoom Calls ie on their walls?

It is a bit of a ramble sorry – but I will tag this stream and come back to it when we get others onto the page to give you some sorts.

My message to you is that you have real talent, you just now need to find a market or markets that wants and values that – that means you need to hustle, which means you need to get outside of yourself a bit, you have to let people know who you are, and what you have, and if you do that, and you work hard, you will find these new customers – I believe in you Sean!! Kia Kaha.

Thanks very much for your supportive comments. I will consider your comments and questions and see what I can come up with.

I did a short time-laps of my flatmate painting the other day on two cellphones, it came out really well and he is going to use this for his promotion. I am looking at what it would take to make some educational videos to put on line as well.

I would say I have had people say I am to divers an not focused enough, i just learn and do what i need to get it done usually. Thats been hard to teach as people think i’m palming them off to Youtube. I take that skill and adapt it to what is needed for the task. I can do this with an object, artwork, set, costume etc, but put that into practice on my business, I have some improvements to be made there as i enjoy the creating so much.

Thanks very much for your reply.

Kia ora Sean – As a creative myself I know how difficult it can be to make a living from your craft at the best of times. With the a cloud hanging over the future of the film industry I would be thinking about a couple of things.

1. What part of my craft can pivot right now into something essential that I can produce to support myself.
    2. What are the skills and resources available of the people in my network that would enable us to collaborate and create a new product or service that leverages our collective expertise.
    3. How can the value I build in the short to mid term create a longterm source of sustainable income.

1. Pivot
    You’re obviously great at making apparel and from the film industry, I see you’re also into Steam Punk. Could you leverage those two things to produce a range of essential film inspired apparel to sell into your community or to sell to through larger online market places for film or steam punk fans e.g. Steam Punk face inspired face masks or gloves.

2. Power of your network/ community
    The film community is thick as thieves and are some of the most talented creative people you’re ever going to meet. How could you pool that creative talent and focus it to create an initiative that could benefit you all. Could you collectively produce a high value online course focused on a film that you all worked on together and that breaks down some key scenes and how they were created from a production perspective. You could talk about wardrobe, another person makeup, another person lighting, the DP, Gaffer, editor, sound engineer etc. I’d pay for that service.

3. Long term value
    As you work through the two steps above one valuable question to keep asking yourself is “what part of this product, service or process is scalable and repeatable e.g. Using point 1 above – face masks are probably here to stay, so could you leverage your film connections to license the production of Face Masks for feature films like the Avengers for instance and produce a kids range of face masks that have the nose, mouth and chin of Ironman as an example.

Just some starter for 10 stuff Sean, examples of how you can start to flex your creative muscles that align to the problems that people are trying to solve right now that can create value for you. We’re creatives so lets be creative right now, good luck and good fortune.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.