fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
Where am I missing the mark? Why am I not selling?Hey Team, Sheshe here. I jumped on the Mask Making band wagon a few weeks back and was one of the first mask stores over on Chooice. I saw a decent influx of sales early on and had hoped it would continue. 

Question submitted 30/08/20 @ 05:43am
Industry: Digital & Online Marketing
VIEW
VOTE
  • Hey you – great live by the way. Now I have just seen a response to another user from Anne Casey which I thought was pretty good actually – so with that, I am going to repeat it here:

“The fact that you are not getting the interest or even ‘look-in’ to your product this may be because of one of these reasons:
    1. There is not a large demand or need for it.
    2. Your message is not hitting the right pain points
    3. Your sales approach is not right
    4. The target audience you are after is not an ideal match (even within marketing, there are so many different types and levels)
    I suggest that you start with evaluating these 4 points as it is highly likely one of them.
    Once you know where the issue is, then you can hone in.”

So we know that people are buying masks, and a lot of them – so when you sit back – is it the product? is it your marketing?

Sorry I only have questions, not solutions.

Thanks @andyadmn and Sheshe for your question.
    In your instance, there was definitely a demand and you did very well to be one of the first to promote your masks. This gave you the ‘early mover’ advantage.
    However since then there had been a lot of people providing the same thing. Even in my local Facebook group, there is almost someone posting there everyday when Lockdown 2.0 started.
    It is a case of possibly supply is meeting or starting to outstrip demand.
    As such, your next moves are probably:
    1. Develop the ‘next thing’ ideally related to masks or similar since you have a customer base that was interested in mask, this can be the next ‘add on’. This is what we call ‘product extension’
    2. Approach your existing customers and see if they need more. You can incentivise with multibuy (eg buy 3 and get Xx) or free shipping, refer a friend etc
    3. Approach a different ‘type’ of customers. This will need more exploration and understanding of what this might be.

Is this a part time business or are you looking to turn this into full time?
    Hope this helps.

Anne

Thanks @anne-casey and @andyadmin
    Great idea to reapproach existing customers.
    I added mask bags and have also added a replacement elastic head loop pack. I have some other ideas, but as it is the side part of my main hustle, I’m not wanting to pour too much into it.
    I think the big kicker was that across my platforms I did $3k in sales within a week to start with. Hoping that the LIVE would allow me to connect with a wider customer base through Chooice and only getting a single order (thanks to the MacFie fam!)

Great points about meeting the right pain points, marketing, audience. I hope that by the addition of Organic Cotton and the mandatory order for masks across NZ Public transport may see another up-tick.

Taking a breath and reassessing the side-hustle.

Thanks for your input, team. I really appreciate all you are doing.

x

Love your work and mahi!

Hi Sheshe – I took a look at your store and web page – well done for getting in early on those masks.

I have a couple of suggestions
    1 – you should have an email list of past customers – send them a message asking Have they got face masks? Just find out if your customers have bought them. If they haven’t you may extract a few more sales.
    2 – I agree that the moment for masks may have moved on and so you should probably be getting back to your core services of the styling, wardrobe declutter etc. You haven’t got any testimonials for this work at all on your website. Go back to every customer who’s bought from you and phone then (don’t email) and ask then for a testimonial you can use on the website and facebook.
    3 – You do a lot of beautiful content curation on Facebook but it’s not visible on your website, nor are links to your Facebook. Start duplicating your social content onto the website. And start an Instagram page too.
    4 – On the website contact us page put links to Facebook and Instagram and an invitation to follow.
    5 – Start thinking about what the “next” service you will launch can be. I have a suggestion which is to do group classes on how to buy eco, how to declutter yourself, get Mothers to attend with their daughters, suggest people buy these as birthday presents so they are in the $35-70 price range and you can create a virtual classroom with many attendees at a lower price point.
    6 – On the website you don’t explain the clothes you are selling – are these YOURS? or are they things clients have de-cluttered out? If the latter, you could become a good second hand clothing store – offer to sell for your customers and take a % of the price. This will give you a reason to get your customers coming back week after week to see “what’s new”. This also makes your one to one services more affordable if you can sell for them, they get back part of the price of your consulting fee.

Again, ask your customers what they think of these ideas – before you launch them. Do some research into competitors (maybe overseas) and see if you can work out their business model and what their margins are.

Best wishes
    Rebecca Caroe

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.