fbpx

LETS GET DOWN TO BUSINESS.

Question :
With the increasing popularity of advertising online, is there a way I can better promote myself and my business besides Instagram and Facebook? 

Question submitted 03/08/20 @ 01:11pm
Industry: Digital and Technology
VIEW
VOTE
  • Up
    Down

Hi there
    Can you give us a sense of what your business does, and what you know about your target market? Initial thoughts are about some sort of content related promotions, such as blogs or vlogs… but there are many other options depending on what you’re selling / who you need to reach.
    Cheers
    Debra

Up
    Down

There are so many other things to do other than Facebook and Instagram.

Here’s an article that was top of the search for “how to promote your business online” – 21 ways to grow your business online – so there’s at least 19 more! https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/283832

But as Debra says which things you pick really depends on the type of business you have and who you are trying to attract. What you need to understand is out of all of the options which ones do your potential clients use day to day.

Up
    Down

Hi there,

It would be really useful to understand more about your business to be able to tailor our responses accordingly but as a starter for 10 I’d split my initial advice into 3 areas; building your brand, finding your unique customer value proposition and marketing your services.

Depending on the time you have to dedicate to this will determine how far you take my recommended approach below.

I’d start with the lean canvas which can help you to determine your own angle. How you’ll stand out vs the competition. Who your competitors are. What your unique value proposition is. What your unfair advantage is. How you’ll price your services to be competitive and sticky. https://leanstack.com/leancanvas

Once you’ve had a crack at the top line canvas I’d then suggest developing a more detailed plan using an old marketing framework: SOSTAC, which stands for Situation, Objectives, Strategy, Tactics, Action, Control.

* Situation assesses where a business is presently (Where are you now? Who are the competition? What’s the market size? who are your target customers and where are they? Are there any gaps your business could fill? Etc)

* Objectives sets the mission or goals for the business (Where do you want to be? What are the 3-5 objectives you have for the business? E.g. For this financial year: To grow the business revenues from $x to $x with a profit of x%. To achieve a products sales target of $x. To grow our customer base to x. To drive brand awareness by x%.)

* Strategy is an overview of how to achieve the objectives (How do you get there? What are the high level strategies you’ll deploy to reach your objectives? E.g. Target customers and drive acquisition through onboarding offers (buy 2 get 3rd for 50% etc). Raise brand awareness for specific customer types using targeted comms, etc etc).

* Tactics are the details of strategy (e.g. the marketing mix. These are the specific initiatives you’ll employ to deliver on your strategies. E.g. Targeted FB ads and email campaigns, write articles for blogs, partner with marketplaces that have greater reach, sell locally, raise your own profile in the community through social good etc etc).

* Actions how do you ensure excellent execution of the plan. (E.g. Using simple planning tools you can plot your tactical initiatives across a calendar).

* Control establishes how you know whether you are getting there (What do you need to monitor? E.g. Put in place simple measurement tools to allow you to understand what tactics are achieve if the best outcome for your business. Use A/B split testing with your ads on FB, monitor if there was a spike in website traffic or sales after an article was published, after a promotion, did you see a significant uptake? Etc etc).

By systematically working through each of the areas above you’ll land on a clear direction and the tactical efforts you need to take the business forward.

Further information can be found here;

SOSTAC® marketing planning model guide

When it comes to bringing it all to life it’s really down to you and your support team to get creative and think differently to your competitors. What are they doing on the socials, who’s demanding the best position in the market and why, how are they turning up differently. Considering these questions will hopefully lead you to a set of smart strategies and tactics (as part of your sostac plan) to smash the competition!

As mentioned upfront we can provide far more tailored advice if we have a good sense of your business so if you’re able to outline what business you’re in and your business objectives that’d be great and allow us to help further.

Cheers,
    Russ

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.